4. Cry

Peter had only ever felt like he did now once before. Only then, there had been more than one alternative to what could be done.

For Kalani, there was nothing. It was more than instinctual that he knew he couldn't simply let her die; it was an obligation.

Even if the Shadow did bring her here, it wasn't her choice or fault. She didn't deserve to be punished for the mistakes of others.

She'd been sleeping for hours on end.

The sun had already set on the rest of the island and Pan had his sentries for that night leave their torches in his tent so he could see and aid the girl as needed.

He had forced the dreamshade antidote down her unconscious throat as quickly as possible, and she would live, but the recovery was taking longer than usual this time.

He wasn't sure why.

There wasn't much furniture in the tent besides the bed: a small nightstand and matching dresser that had washed up on the beach one day long ago, a short bookcase with various knick-knacks stuffed in the corners, and a child-size rocking chair in the corner.

That was where Peter resided as he watched Kalani sleep. He doubted very much she would appreciate waking up to find a visitor in the same bed.

He had to admit, watching her sleep was, though slightly creepy, quite fascinating.

Somehow in the dim lighting and relaxed muscles, she seemed smaller and more vulnerable than she had at any moment during the day.

Sometimes she would whimper and squirm, as if she were lost in a nightmare or something, but would always calm down and remain still once more.

A light moan stopped Peter from falling asleep completely. He blinked and looked up - the girl was awake!

He cleared his throat awkwardly - how else was he going to signal she had company? - and straightened his back.

Kalani's head snapped up and her eyes widened when they fell on Peter.

Immediately, she began scrambling around frantically and threw the blankets that covered her to the side.

Peter tensed when she started to get out of the bed, thinking she couldn't leave - not yet, but he had no reason to worry.

A wave of dizziness washed over Kalani and she collapsed with a nauseous groan.

"What's going... on," she mumbled, clutching her her, which was spinning.

Peter stood up and crouched beside the bed so he was somewhat eye-level with her.

"Feeling better?" he asked softly, blatantly ignoring her question.

Kalani moaned again and rolled onto her back. Her face was glistening with sweat and she still looked unnaturally pale.

"Fine," she said, though her heavy breathing around the word was a clear indication that she was not, in fact, fine at all.

"What- what happened?" she repeated the question and shut her eyes - the room had started spinning.

No one had ever reacted to dreamshade this way before, not even without drinking the water from Neverland's magic waterfall.

Peter didn't know what to do besides tell her the truth.

Well, almost the truth.

Quickly he lifted her pale fingertips to show Kalani the bandage on her forearm.

"A few Lost Boys thought it would be amusing to poison you. I gave you an antidote as quickly as possible, but I don't think your body has completely ridded itself of the dreamshade. You're going to have to stay here for now," he informed her as calmly as possible.