Chapter 8: Cassius

I let out a long sigh as Cadence adjusted my collar. She was intently focused on her task, eyes furrowed slightly. She was a woman. Perhaps she could tell me exactly what Sophia would want out of me.

I clamped my mouth shut, then opened it, then clamped it shut again.

"What is it, your majesty?" Her emerald eyes flicked up at me, though her hands stayed busy at work.

"You know you don't have to call me that," I huffed.

"Then what is it, Cassius?"

"It's nothing," I muttered.

Cadence stopped working on my garb and crossed her arms. "Clearly, it isn't nothing. I know when you're upset. I've been your hand for two years now."

"I don't know if I should talk to you about it," I admitted. Cadence's job was to get me dressed and make sure I made it to all of my meetings, not listen to my woes about my problems with women.

"Who would I tell?" She sighed and gave that warm smile of hers: what a mother's smile ought to look like. "You can tell me anything, you know."

I grimaced and turned away from her, looking myself over in the mirror. As I slicked a straight hair back down, I spoke. "Truthfully, I'm struggling with Sophia. One moment she's pleasant, the next she's appalled by me. She likely wants nothing to do with me. Do you think I'm doing something wrong?" A stray hair popped back up.

Cadence approached me, licked her finger, then forced the lock back into place. "Cassius, just be yourself. There is so much to love." She let out a breath and began putting away random things. "Besides, she may just be having trouble adjusting. She is a far way from home, after all. No friends here, no family. You might also be a bit unsteady if you were in the same situation."

I chewed on that thought for a moment. "Thank you, Cadence."

"It's nothing. Speaking of, you better go meet her. Enjoy your ride."

I nodded, then breezed out the door.

We met in the castle courtyard and gave each other stifled bows and curtsies.

Don't be discouraged, Cass. Make the best of it.

I put on my best smile. "Princess Sophia! I hope you're feeling better. Are you ready for our ride?" I held out an arm for her to potentially link onto.

I wasn't surprised when she politely declined. "Yes, I am." A distant frown laced her expression.

Cadence's words rang in my mind. She may be having trouble adjusting. Without thinking, I inhaled deeply and let my smile shine even brighter. "Well, if we're spending time with each other, we should make the best of it. I have one goal today, and if I achieve it, I think my life will be complete. I will perish satisfied."

She lifted a brow.

"I am going to make you laugh. I have never once seen you genuinely smile since you've been here. It has solely been that royal smile that you do so well, and my dear Sophia, while that royal smile you have is beautiful, I am sure that your true smile is utterly breathtaking. I aim to see it before the end of the day."

Sophia blinked at me, mouth slightly open. "Well." She cleared her throat and began walking, eyes straight ahead. "I sure would love to see that."

Something right? A rebuke? I couldn't tell. I followed after her and kept pace.

When we stepped into the stable courtyard, it was utter madness. Sophia and I jumped back as a loose chestnut horse galloped past us, shoes banging against the stone. Loud cursing flew throughout the yard as a stableboy went running after the horse.