Chapter 2: Finnian

A week had gone by since the latest ball, and the entire castle staff was riddled with gossip and news about whatever affairs may have gone on that night. There were always affairs to be talked about, though I didn't care to indulge in them. While there were more important things to ponder, there was always someone to tell me the happening of the hour.

"Oh, Finnian!" Her sing-song voice carried across the courtyard and into the stables. Adeline skipped up to me with a blissful smile, dress billowing behind her. "You wouldn't believe what I just heard." She leaned against the stall door, eyes fixed on me.

I glanced at her for a brief moment in acknowledgement, then once again focused my attention on the chestnut mare, who I was brushing before being interrupted.

She then went off rambling, voice high with excitement over something to discuss. "Rumor has it that Princess Sophia is staying much longer than anticipated. Some are saying that it's going to be an entire year! Surely whatever diplomatic business the king and queen are going on about with her wouldn't take an entire year to discuss. Or do you think something else is wrong? Do you think that something else entirely is going on?"

I lifted my brow at her, letting the rest of my features drop. Her conspiracy theories and care into these matters were rubbish. She didn't take the hint.

"Whatever it is, I've heard she's one of the most beautiful women in all the land. Dark blonde hair that reaches nearly her knees, and apparently her face is just so perfectly shaped. I wish I had beauty like that. She's so enchanting, just thinking about her." Suddenly, she gasped with realization, stepping into the stall and beside me. "What if Princess Sophia were to marry Prince Cassius!? Oh, they would make such beautiful children, they're both so pretty. I hope she's nice. Do you think she would be a nice queen?"

It wasn't unlikely for Sophia to be a potential suitor for Cassius. Everyone knew that he was an uncanny failure with women, or so they said. There were stories of Cassius running around with a woman for mere days, only to then drop off the face of the Earth in relevation: avoiding, dodging, and doing anything in his power to be rid of them. Then he would go a long time without courting another, only for the same thing to happen again at a quicker pace.

Then again, none of it was my business, though I wouldn't blame him for running away. Women were terrifying. Or overbearing. Like Adeline.

"Ah, what does it matter?" she carried on. "Even if Cassius does attempt to court Princess Sophia, he'd be gone again in a week. That would be his mistake, though. She's so beautiful. I'm sure you'd want to sweep her off her feet instantly." A nervous chuckle escaped her. "Then again, you wouldn't do that. It's impossible."

I wasn't sure what she was talking about, but I shrugged regardless.

A loud, masculine voice echoed across the stables, jarring my brain from the suddenness. "Kitchen girl! What are you doing back here?"

We both turned our heads to see Conrad marching towards us, a wet cloth thrown over his shoulder.

Adeline immediately stepped out of the stall. The chestnut mare nipped at her back, but was narrowly dodged. "Nice to see you again, Conrad! I was just taking my leave."

"Well take your leave faster," he hissed, stopping where he stood.

"I got it, sir." She glanced back at me with a glowing, mischievous smile on her face. "I'll see you later, Finny. Have fun with this brute." Finally, she turned on her heels and made a break for it.

Conrad huffed and puffed an considered yelling back at her, but she was gone before he could muster any more words. Then he turned towards me, for he was always filled with orders to spit in my direction. "Stop flirting with that kitchen girl," he growled. "She's only a distraction."