Chapter 3 Armand

The next day, Cair Paravel was stuffed with people. To get away from all the excitement, Peter, Edmund, and I went riding.
"Lady Monique was looking for you, Peter," Edmund said, as we three tied up our horses.
"Not about Adelaide, again," Peter groaned. He sat down and I beside him, he slung an arm around me.
"What's wrong with Adelaide?" I asked.
"Last time Lady Monique tried to match both of them," Edmund grinned, "She wants her daughter to marry the best. And the way that lady acted around Peter."
"Ed!" Peter said to him annoyed.
"You'd think she had the honours of dancing with him not her daughter."
"She sure is desperate," I muttered.
"Well, in the middle of the evening, Adelaide said,' This isn't going to work,' well the lady is so deaf, so she thought Adelaide meant they were engaged," Edmund was roaring with laughter.
"Ed!" Shouted Peter, "That's enough!"
"Well, the woman got all excited, she announced in front of everyone,' My daughter and the High King Peter are engaged!'"
I broke into a laugh, "Go on, Ed."
"Well, Susan turned to Peter,' Peter, I'm so happy for you. I never thought you considered marriage as an option.' And Peter had to announce to everyone that it was a misunderstanding. He and Adelaide couldn't even stand being in the same room. Rumour has it she likes Armand, but her mother doesn't approve," Edmund said.
"I'm sorry for your embarrassment, big brother," I patted Peter's shoulder.
"What about my little sister," he returned, "I mean I never intend to get married, but what about you?"
I laughed, "Same as you, the fellow I did get close to liking, well he..."
"What?" Edmund asked.
"Never mind," I answered, if I had uttered a few more words, it might have cost my brother's lives and mine. There could be spies even here.
"Well, neither do I," Edmund declared.
"Verity," Peter began, "Yesterday you never really answered my question?"
"What question," I leaned my head on his shoulder.
"About attending another year at the School of the Arts in Tashbaan. I need you to do some more work for me there...."
"Well," I interrupted him, but I bit my lip. The truth was I couldn't go back. The city had tested my faith and it was full of spies, like Birsha. I felt like I was ruining our nation. But if I told..."I guess I could," I answered.
Peter nodded and pulled me into a hug, "I hate having you leave again, but this is for the good of our country."
"I understand," I said.
"Well, let's ride back," Edmund replied, "Susan will be upset if we're late."
Peter rode ahead of us while Edmund and I lingered behind.
"Do you want to go back?" Edmund asked concerned.
"Ed, I just feel like I want to do something else with my life. I'm a queen. I want to rule with you all, you're my siblings, and," I hung my head, "You won't believe what happened a month ago."
"What?" He asked.
"I'm an author," I grinned.
"Verity, you don't mean..."
"Yes," I nodded, "And they want more. They don't know I really am though."
"Have you told Peter?"
"No, you see to write that book, I didn't learn as much in school. I was so busy. And besides they barely teach me anything. Only a fraction of it was about Literature. It's really a finishing school, and I wasn't able to keep an eye on all of the people Peter wanted me to watch," I complained, "The last thing I want to do is go back."
"Just tell Peter," Edmund said, "Why, is it so difficult."

"Would he listen, Ed, or understand? All he wants is for me to spy on our greatest enemies to get information. I wonder why he can't ask someone else," I replied.

"You're the only capable one," Edmund explained, "Peter is the High King, Susan, well I can't imagine her doing it, and I, you said I wasn't as smart and discreet. You could pull off almost anything if you did it right. Ruth is too timid for such a role and Lucy she's 14."

"At 14 I had slain the Bartiger," I replied.

"That isn't like what you're doing now," he retorted.

"I only have a few people after me," I blurted out.

"Who?" He asked.

"No one," I answered. We had come to Cair Paravel, "And don't tell Peter, I don't think he'd be too pleased that I wasted a lot of time writing a book."

When we came to the stable, Prince Armand came towards me.

"Queen Verity, your sister Susan is looking for you," he said, holding out his hand. I ignored it as I got off my horse.

"Well, she could have sent one of the servants or came herself?" Peter retorted.

Prince Armand shot a glare at Peter, "You don't have to be your sister's bodyguard."

I decided I should go. I hurried inside Cair Paravel.

"Where is Susan?" I asked Mrs. Beaver.

"Upstairs waiting for you," Mrs. Beaver told me, "Where have you been?"

"Riding," I answered, I took off my gloves, hurrying up the stairs.

Susan met me at the top, "Verity, you need to get ready for the ball. And look at the state your in. Your dress the hem is muddy."

I looked down at my skirt, "I'll change anyways; I was riding," I replied; she grabbed my arm and dragged me into my room.

"You don't have much time," she said to me, "Pearl has drawn you a bath. After that call me in. I'll help you with your makeup."

"Why do I need makeup?" I made a face, "My face looks just as good without."

Susan rolled her eyes as she left.

After I had bathed, I dressed in a light blue ball gown that Susan had laid out for me. Or chosen. I was brushing my hair when Susan came back in.

"Why, aren't you wearing the earrings I gave you!" She was annoyed.

"I don't like wearing things on my ears for the sake of beauty," I protested; I put on my Magen David.

"You won't wear that!" Susan told me.

"I don't care," I answered.

"Verity, you will never get married, if you..." began Susan

"I don't intend to get married," I interrupted her.

"Verity, you have no choice. A queen must be married," Susan said.

"You're not married," I retorted."And I don't think I'll ever find the right man."

"I already have the perfect man for you, dear sister, don't worry. Prince Armand," she kissed my cheek, "You two are going to be perfect together."

I sighed. So that's what Prince Armand was doing here. Susan wanted to match us.