Three-Calli

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I rolled over to grab it off of the nightstand when I noticed it was 2:30 in the afternoon. "Hello." I said without checking the caller id.

"Hey sweetheart, did I wake you up?"

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. My father and I talk every Saturday at 10 am. A slight panic set in thinking that maybe I had slept through him calling earlier. "Yes dad, I just woke up. Did I miss your call earlier?"

"No" he said with a chuckle "It was your week to call me. When I hadn't heard from you, I thought I'd better call."

"Sorry dad, I had a long night."

"Everything ok sweetheart?"

"Yes, everything is fine, I was just up studying, and lost track of time, you know me." I added a chuckle at the end to make it more believable. There is no way in hell I could tell my dad what happened last night. He would be on the first plane to me and probably make me move in with him.

"Calli you're in college, you don't have to study every free moment that you have. Go out with friends and live a little will you." With all the care in the world in his voice.

"Actually, I'm going out with a group of friends tonight. It's Ty's birthday and he wants to hit the town." Ty was one of the first people that I met when I started college. We only had one class together last year, but we meet up and study all the time. He is super relaxed and down to earth. I think the reason that we get along so well is because he comes from a military family, so he has traveled a lot too.

"That's great sweetheart. Tell Ty I said happy birthday, will you. Have you been thinking about winter break? Did you decide if you wanted to come down here, you know that it will be warmer here in Florida then there."

My dad has been trying to get me to come down since he got there. "I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. That is still like two months away. I promise when I'm confident in passing my end of the semester exams I will let you know. I don't want to spend my time planning a trip when I should be using it to study."

"Calli" with that stern fatherly voice.

I knew exactly what was coming next.

"You push yourself too hard. You need to enjoy life."

I know that I have always had a problem with hanging out, let alone making friends. It all stems back to jumping from school to school. Some schools I had to catch up to what they where teaching and other schools I would pick up after school activities. I always thought that if I didn't make friends, it was ok because I would be gone the next school year anyway. So, my friends became the books that I read, the sports that I played, and the studying that I did. Those were the things that would always be there no matter where I went.

Being friends with Ty wasn't something that came easy to me. In fact, I thought he was like a thorn in my side. Ty would come and hunt me down when we were passing classes and at the end of the day, our last class, he insisted he sat next to me. At first, I wanted the man to disappear, but then he grew on me, and now I don't know what I would do without him.

"How'd your date go?" I tried to change the subject.

"Oh, I see what you did. I'll let it go for now but next week you better have less studying and more fun in your stories." He finished with a chuckle.

"Alright dad. I'll try to lay off the studying." Rolling my eyes and not literally thinking about do it.

"Back to your question, my date went well, and I think we are going out again, but I'm not entirely sure."