Chapter 4: A Chance Encounter

(Preview)
Amara swirled around the grand ballroom, a flurry of sapphire silk. Her sixteenth birthday ball was everything a princess's could be -  glittering chandeliers, a live orchestra, and a gaggle of handsome suitors vying for her attention. Yet, Amara felt a strange emptiness amidst the gaiety. Her parents, King Richard and Queen Isabella, watched her from a raised platform, their faces etched with worry.
Earlier that week, the King had announced that Amara would be getting a bodyguard, a decision that surprised everyone, including Amara.

The kingdom had enjoyed a long era of peace, and Amara had never felt unsafe.
As the music swelled, a tall figure emerged from the double doors. He was dressed in black, his face obscured by shadows. A hush fell over the room.  Then, he stepped into the light.
Adrian.

His dark hair was cropped close, his features sharp and intelligent

His dark hair was cropped close, his features sharp and intelligent. His eyes, the color of starlight, held a depth that seemed to pierce right through Amara.  A jolt of something akin to electricity shot through her.  This wasn't like the silly crushes she'd had on classmates. This felt different, intense.
Suddenly, her best friend Luna materialized at her side.

"Whoa, Amara," Luna whispered, her eyes wide. "He is hot."

Amara tried to focus on Luna's words, but her gaze kept flickering back to Adrian.  Maybe a bodyguard wasn't such a bad idea after all.