CHAPTER 13

As my heart pounds in my chest, I finally find the lock. It's a tricky mechanism, but given my time with Tivan, I know his fondness for puzzles. I work at it, my fingers trembling, all the while keeping an eye on Tivan. The last thing we need is to alert him before we're ready.

Finally, with a satisfying click, the lock pops open. Namlin's eyes widen in surprise and relief. I quickly motioned for her to stay quiet and hidden, hoping she understands the urgency. She nods and retreats into the shadows of the cage.

Meanwhile, Tivan continues his monologue, seemingly oblivious to the silent rescue mission taking place behind him. I make my way back to Rocket, who has been watching the proceedings with a wary eye.

"Well?" he whispers, not taking his eyes off Tivan.

"She's free. But we need a plan to get her out of here undetected," I reply.

Rocket grins, showing his sharp teeth. "You're in luck. I love escape plans." He quickly starts to explain his idea, using his hands to illustrate the layout of the room and the positions of Tivan and the others.

As I listen, I glance back at Namlin's cage, hoping that we'll be able to pull this off. We can't afford any mistakes. Not when it's not just our lives on the line, but hers as well.

As Rocket finishes his explanation, I nod. It's a risky plan, but it's the best we have. I take a deep breath, ready to put it into action. If we're lucky, we'll all make it out of here in one piece. If not... well, I try not to think about that.

I glance at Rocket, who is already moving into position. I take one last look at Namlin, mouthing 'Trust me' before turning my attention back to Tivan and the others. It's now or never.

Rocket inserts himself in the normal 'Rocket' fashion (as in, he just insults someone), and brings Tivan's attention to the both of us for the first time.

"Blah, blah, blah," He taunts. "We're all very fascinated, whitey. But we'd like to get paid."

Tivan's holographs fizzle away and we stand in anticipation. "How would you like to get paid?" He asks in response.

"What do you think fancy man? Units!"

Rocket is supposed to receive the payment and we're supposed to make a run for it. I just hope I can warn the others that this will be a fast takeoff with now two fugitives of Tivan. My skin pricks with anticipation as I plan to use a stronger form to rip the chains out of the cage that connects to Namlin. I don't worry about the speed at which my form will take the old one's place, but I can't help but be anxious.

Just being in my old master's presence is nerve-wracking—I'm honestly surprised I didn't just stay in the ship. This was where I was supposed to get off, leave their lives forever. I'm starting to doubt my decision. And the only reason isn't because I'm heavily wanted on this planet. I have enjoyed my time with Drax—wherever he may be right now—and I've warmed up to Rocket and Groot. Quill is fine, but he just embodies the Terrian stereotype. Not to mention his ship is unbelievably dirty. Have I mentioned how dirty it is?

Gamora reminds me of the cool older sister whom you want to be like in every way, regardless if she makes fun of you for it. Not that I think of her as family, right? That would be crazy...right?

"Very well, then," Tivan opens his drawer and I tense up, already feeling the lengthening of my canines from the Crik species.

Tivan stops his movements when he notices his new slave looking transfixed by the glowing stone on his table.

"Carina," He says, startling her and knocking her out of what looked like a daze. "Stand back."

Her gaze shifts from surprise to pure anger. "I will no longer be your slave!" I hear knocking from behind her and see Namlin pounding on the glass.