Chapter Four

Chapter Four
The University

────•~✦~•────

SERENITY

The day has passed, and I'm still on board the train to Moorfeld, trying to keep myself busy inside my cabin. I hum a song as I glance at the white ferret sitting on the flowers I have taken from their vase and laid on the table. Then, I look back at my sketchbook and add more lines to the picture I've been drawing. Kanina ko pa natapos ang binabasa kong libro kaya naman naisipan kong gumuhit.

"Do I really need to be this motionless, Serenity?" the ferret complains in her tiny voice, only slightly annoyed. "Hindi ito ang trabaho ko."

Bahagya akong napatawa at saglit na tumigil sa aking ginagawa para sumagot. "I'm sorry, but you make an adorable model, Mitra. Just think of it as another way to assist me. Masyadong mahaba ang byahe at wala na akong ibang magawa."

Napailing siya. "Humans."

Nakangiti kong ipinagpatuloy ang pagguhit sa kanya. Mitra is my familiar. She's a spirit living in a realm called Eldrid, but I can summon her anytime, and she takes the form of a small worldly animal she likes to assist me whenever I need help. We can communicate, and I'm the only person who can hear her voice.

Familiars are magickal companions of witches and wizards, although not everyone has them because they're hard to get unless bought in a shop for a hefty price. Binilhan ako ni Papa ng isa bago ako pumasok sa Lucian University no'ng nakaraang taon dahil isa ito sa requirements ng pamantasan.

Sakto namang natapos ko ang aking ginuguhit nang tumunog ang isang bell sa loob ng train. I glance at the clock in our cabin and see that it's already seven o'clock. Tumayo sa katabi kong upuan si Jasmine at ibinaba ang binabasa niyang akademikong libro na pinahiram ko sa kanya.

"Oras na ng hapunan, my lady. Dito po ba ulit kayo kakain?" tanong niya sa'kin.

Inipit ko sa sketchbook ang hawak kong lapis saka ito sinara habang ako ay nag-iisip. I haven't left this cabin since I arrived, and it's been ten hours. I've had both my lunch and afternoon tea here, so perhaps I'll go out now for a change.

"No, I'm heading to the dining area. You can stay here and keep reading if you'd like," sabi ko kay Jasmine, tutal mamaya pa ang oras ng kainan ng mga maid at valet.

"Sige po, ma'am."

I gaze back at my familiar and stroke her fur. "You can return to Eldrid now, Mitra. Thank you."

"Finally. Until next time, then," she answers before quickly disappearing into thin air.

I stand up from my seat and leave the room. As I pass by Brooklyn's cabin, I knock on her door to invite her to dinner, but only her maid is inside. Sinabi nito sa'king kaaalis lang din ng hinahanap ko para pumunta sa dining area.

Nagpasalamat ako sa maid bago ako nagpatuloy sa paglalakad, at hindi nagtagal ay nakarating na ako sa aking destinasyon.

The dining area is located at the center of the train, separating the ladies' cabins from the gentlemen's. Upon arriving, I immediately spot Brooklyn at the table for ladies while the train attendants are starting to serve the first course. Nakikipag-usap siya sa mga kalapit niya ng upuan, at agad rin nilang napansin ang pagdating ko.

"Lady Serenity," Lady Georgia, the daughter of the Earl of Rufferton and one of my classmates in the university, calls with a smile. "Come sit with us."