6. Homecoming Game

I wake up happy, even humming as I brush my teeth.

I pull on my school hoodie, smiling at the bulldog on the front. I pull one of my jerseys over it, then put on my jeans and sneaks. The light wash of my jeans looks good against the white of my jersey and sneakers.

Against my red hair, I'd say the fit looks nice. I leave the house in a good mood, Dad taking notice as he drops me off at school. I walk in happy, the first and second periods going by smoothly. Instead of lunch, I go to the gym, chatting with the team as the seats fill with students.

I spy Ven, choosing to walk up to him. I hug him in front of everyone, kids in the seats giving us confused looks. Football players don't interact with the band geeks, but here I am.

Fred: "I love the glitter, guys."

The guard smiles, Ven looking at his glittery top with a blush.

Ven: "Really? I hate them. They're so itchy."

Fred: "It's a good look."

He smiles as I give him another hug and a wave goodbye. I pass Roman, hugging the trio as well. I go back to the team, some of the guys giving me a hard time for talking to the band nerds. I laugh it off, choosing not to take what they say too seriously. Carlos gives me another confused look, but I ignore him.

I cheer as the cheerleaders run across the gym, shaking their poms and doing flips. Velvet and Midori are hoisted to the top of their pyramids, and the students cheer loudly for them. Carlos howls and whoops, getting me to crack a smile.

The band plays our fight song as the guard spins their flags, Ven looking to be in his element. I enjoy the pep rally, yelling and cheering to get our student section excited.

Velv: "WHAT DO WE WANT?"

Students: "A WIN!"

Velv: "WHO WILL WE BEAT?"

Fred: "THE COUGARS!"

I cheer loudly as the students yell out. Our school has great pride; we've won nearly every game this season and will surely win this one if we work hard enough. As the pep rally closes, I hear some of the guys say they're going to the field to hang out, Carlos included.

I walk away, pretending not to hear them as they call my name. I meet up with Ven and walk back to the band room with him. I'm shocked to see the size of it. There are so many trophies and awards. I guess I never stopped to see what the band room looks like.

I spend the next hour meeting the band and making many friends. Ven was right; they all are super friendly to me. I listen as some kids play on their instruments, surprised by their talent. Truth be told, I've never cared about the band. Now that I see how hard they work, it's cool to be able to appreciate them for their work.

As promised, I get my pizza. I eat happily on the band room floor until I see it's time for me to head to the locker room. We have a practice game so the band can do their run-through of the show, but even for a practice, I still have to suit up.

Ven: "You're leaving already?"

Fred: "I have to suit up for the game."

Ven nods, his guard giving me a wave as I leave. I walk to the locker room happily, turning the corner to see a shock. I watch as Carlos makes out with Midori behind the bleachers where the field house and locker rooms are.

Ven: "Fred..."

I hear him call me, dipping out of sight before Carlos can see me.

Ven runs up to me, handing me my phone.