Chapter 4

TW: ED, self-harm

Carly's POV

I've been sitting with Reece for the past half an hour, trying to comfort him with the help of his sister. I knew both of them had a hard time with their dad but I never knew it was this bad. I never knew about anything to do with him. I just knew he was my work dad, like a genuine father figure to me. I could never imagine that he has lunch with me every day for the sake of his own eating disorder as well. I'm still confused as to what 'the last time' means. I don't even want to ask because I know it won't be good for the current situation. "Reece, you are such a strong man, you come into work, take no nonsense from parents and hold your head high," I attempt to soothe him. Autumn stands next to him, her arm on his shoulder. I can tell she's done this before, she keeps a calm composure through it all. "Reece, do you want me to get Marjorie here?" the older woman asks. Like magic, this makes Reece snap out of crying. "No! She doesn't need to know," he exclaims, almost aggressively. He seems to be more on edge than before. "Carly, shouldn't you be getting back to work?" Autumn turns to me, attempting to usher me out of the room so she can finish dealing with Reece. I give a subtle nod, take my head off Reece's shoulder and smile at him as I leave the room.

Reece's POV

I feel so bad for Carly, having to witness me completely breaking down. Not only have I failed to protect Aut from myself, but now I have failed to protect Carly from me too. God, I really am a failure. Aut's hand stays on my shoulder, she's watching me with those eyes. The same ones that I saw before I passed out all those years ago before I woke up in a hospital bed. "You really haven't changed in the time we fell out Aut," I try and distract myself from crying again. "I have changed..quite a lot actually, it's you who hasn't changed Reece." I look up to her observing her features and seeing the same ones that the young smiley girl used to have. Before I could even ask her what she meant she gave me a response, one that I really was not prepared to hear. It was the biggest reality check I've had in a long time.

"I see what you're doing with Carly, you think you fucked up with raising me so you're using her as a second chance. You see me in her, the same with Mia. I remember what she was like and after learning what father did to her it makes sense why she made such a big change in her attitude. You see parts of Mia and myself in Carly and your instincts are kicking in. Nothing that happened back then was ever your fault, you weren't the one to mess up, that was father. It was never your responsibility to raise and protect me, and if anything ever happens to Carly then you can't blame yourself for that either. I know you Reece, and that's why you're slipping, you feel like you're failing again and you're going back to old habits. For the sake of Carly, Marjorie, me, yourself and everyone, you don't need to do anything like that. You can protect Carly, but don't let it ruin you"

"God Aut, did you really have to hit that hard?" I ask, chuckling to stop myself from crying again. "I can physically hit you if you prefer?" she teases. "I was getting worried for a moment there, you were getting way too soppy for my liki-OW!" I was interrupted by a swift and firm kick to the shins. "I need to go back now, Marjorie will be wondering where I am," the brunette walks towards the door. "Bye Aut," I manage to force out, through heavy breaths of pain.

I need to apologise to Carly for putting her through this. She did remind me of a mix of younger Mia and Aut, and I felt like it was my job to protect her. But why did she accept it? The young girl was such a joy and she gets along with everyone, but what drew her to me? An abundance of questions ran through my head, my concentration was halted by them. Before I knew it, the time was 6:30 pm and I had to go to drop Carly off home.

The bright young girl arrives at my office with all her stuff, waiting for me to stand up. "Carly, I'm sorry about earlier, you shouldn't have had to see that," I croaked out, hoping she was still fine with everything. "Reece, you don't have to apologise for anything," she pauses for a second, "now come on take me home, I've got some TV to watch." "New season of peppa pig out or something?" I smirk. "No, but when are you gonna take those parental controls off?" she seems genuinely annoyed every time I bring it up but I know she finds it funny. "When you're a bit older, we both know you're 12," I tease. And with that, we leave my office, making sure to lock up and we head to my car.