Chapter 9

A/N - next chapter coming tomorrow, i apologise for the cliffhanger

Carly's POV

Trembling. I'm trapped and I don't know what to do. This is the only way out, I have to tell him. I have to come clean. It will hurt, it will hurt me let alone him, but it's the only escape. I'll do it today when we have lunch. I have to promise to myself not to mess it up. I can't lose Reece, he's the dad I never had. I don't know what I would do if I lost him.

"Hey, Reece! I've got us the meal deals," I walked in, trying to mask my fear. "You paid for them?" his voice filled with surprise. I nod, my face plastered with a cheesy grin. Thankfully, he was oblivious to my panic. He took the bag, handing me the sandwiches to swap whilst he sorted the snacks and drinks. I take the bigger sandwiches today, if I can take longer eating then I can plan the conversation better in my head. However, Reece took notice of this and flashed me a proud smile. I can't bear this. I can't do it. I can't hurt him.

No, I have to. I've already hurt him. I start eating my sandwich as I elaborate more inside to myself. I'll hurt him more if I don't tell him. The longer I leave it, the longer Roger will be on my back for more information. I have to do it, if not for my sake, then for everybody's sake. "Carly! Carly! You're completely spaced out, are you okay?" he asked. I don't know how to respond. If I lie then he'll know. If I tell the truth then I have to explain earlier than I wanted to. "I'm just..thinking," I didn't necessarily lie, I was thinking. I knew Reece needed more than that for his mind to settle though. He'd never push, he learned that lesson from Autumn, and then Mia, and then Marjorie. He knows never to push until he's so concerned that someone will cause harm. But his mind will race until he hears a full answer. I so desperately want to put his mind at ease, I try and rush through the rest of my food. I can't wait anymore, he needs to know. "Reece, I need to tell you something."

Here we go there's no backing out now. The blond looks up, face full of curiosity, urging me to continue. Silence. The words don't leave my mouth no matter how hard I try. Instead of being able to talk, I feel tears viciously burn in my eyes. He drops his food and races to me. Why, why did I agree to this? If I never agreed in the first place, then I wouldn't have to do this. "I-I-" I try to stutter my way through, "Roger..he..I..he made..I'm sorry." Reece's face filled with concern. "Carly, what did my dad do?" he inquired, opening his arms to let me in. I fall into his embrace, maybe if I feel safe in his arms it will be easier to tell him.

"He...he made me...he did...he used me...Mia... like Mia," I couldn't say any more than three words at a time. Each breath felt like a stab. My head was fuzzy, I felt sick. If I could skip today, I would in every lifetime. I don't want to see him in pain, he doesn't deserve that. He's done so much for me, I can't repay him like this. "Carly, breathe. What do you mean he used you? Why are you bringing up Mia?" he asked, holding me tight before letting me go. I sat on the sofa, Reece kneeling on the floor to reach my height. The tears stream down my face, collecting at my chin and dripping down. I look between my fingers that are intertwined with each other, fiddling to keep me calm, and Reece's worried expression.

"I had...had to...I'm sorry...I don't...can't hurt you...I'm sorry...please forgive me." In what world did I think I'd be able to tell him? Was it worth hurting him to get out? He wouldn't have found out if I didn't try to tell him. I could stay trapped in the cycle, to keep him and everyone else happy. But I've come this far now, I can't back down now. "Roger...he made...made me spy...on you...on everyone...I'm sorry...I don't know what to do."

Reece backed away, standing up and putting his hands behind his head. I could tell he wanted to scream. "What the fuck? What the actual fuck? And you listened to him? Carly, what were you thinking? When did this start? Why did you listen?" his voice was aggressive, but I could tell he was holding back. Even after what I'd done, he'd still refuse to upset me. "I'm sorry..he made me back when...when Mia lost her grip on you...he thought I could stop you...make you focus on me instead of Marjorie...I was scared, he's really scary Reece," I explained. He looked like someone had just stabbed him in the heart, and stomped on him when he was down. "Carly, I..I don't even know what to say, that was when we started having lunch together. Is that why you came to me for lunch? You didn't actually want the help, it was his fault? I gave...I gave up my control on food to help you, Carly. I...I need a moment." And with that, he left the office.

I curled up into myself, still crying. I don't know how long I was there for, Reece still hadn't come back. When I finally regained some sense of reality, I heard a certain redhead's voice. I'm guessing that my lunch should have been over and Char should be on lunch. But I can't move. She was talking to Reece, somehow calming him down. She couldn't hear what she said to him, but she caught one sentence. She recognised it vaguely, like she had heard it before. "Go easy on her, she's just a kid."