Chapter 3: **Old Skills, New Threats**

Muichiro's swift and precise movements clashed against Akaza's brutal strength under the dim light of the streetlamp. Each strike and counterstrike echoed through the quiet neighborhood, a deadly dance of skill and determination. Muichiro's focus was razor-sharp, his senses honed from years of training. He couldn't afford to lose; Nezuko's life depended on it.

With a final, powerful blow, Muichiro managed to drive Akaza back, giving himself enough space to catch his breath. Akaza wiped a trickle of blood from his lip, his expression more amused than angry.

"Not bad, Tokito," Akaza said, his voice a low growl. "You've still got it."

Muichiro didn't reply. Instead, he took advantage of the brief respite to assess his options. He knew he couldn't keep this fight going indefinitely without drawing unwanted attention. He needed to end it quickly.

"You should consider joining us again," Akaza continued, his tone almost conversational. "You were one of the best. It's a shame to see talent like yours go to waste."

Muichiro's eyes narrowed. "My answer is still no. Stay away from Nezuko, or you'll regret it."

Akaza's laughter was cold and mocking. "We'll see about that. This isn't over, Tokito. Not by a long shot."

With that, Akaza retreated into the shadows, leaving Muichiro alone on the empty street. He took a deep breath, trying to calm the adrenaline coursing through his veins. The encounter had been a stark reminder of the dangers lurking in the shadows of his past.

He made his way back to Nezuko's house, his steps cautious and quiet. He couldn't afford to let his guard down, not now. When he reached her door, he knocked softly, hoping she hadn't been too frightened by the commotion.

The door opened, and Nezuko peeked out, her big, expressive eyes filled with worry. "Muichiro! Are you okay?"

Muichiro managed a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, Nezuko. Everything's under control."

Nezuko stepped aside to let him in, her concern evident. "I heard fighting. Who was that man?"

Muichiro hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal. "He's someone from my past. Someone dangerous."

Nezuko's eyes widened. "Why would he come after you? Or... me?"

Muichiro sighed, running a hand through his soft, flowing hair. "It's complicated. But I promise you, Nezuko, I'll protect you. No matter what."

Nezuko nodded, her trust in him unwavering. "I believe you, Muichiro. Thank you."

---

The next day at school, Muichiro was more vigilant than ever. He kept a close eye on Nezuko and his surroundings, his instincts always on high alert. He couldn't let his guard down, not for a moment.

During lunch, he joined Nezuko, Makomo, and Senjuro under the cherry blossom tree. The peaceful setting was a stark contrast to the tension simmering within him.

"Muichiro, you seem more serious than usual," Makomo observed, her sharp eyes studying him. "Is everything okay?"

Muichiro offered a faint smile. "Just... a lot on my mind."

Senjuro nodded sympathetically. "If there's anything we can do to help, let us know."

Muichiro appreciated their concern but knew this was something he had to handle alone. "Thank you. I will."

Their conversation was interrupted by the arrival of Ume, flanked by her entourage. She sauntered over, her eyes fixed on Muichiro.

"Well, well, if it isn't the mysterious new guy," Ume said, her tone dripping with condescension. "I've been hearing some interesting rumors about you."

Muichiro met her gaze calmly. "And what rumors would those be?"

Ume smirked. "That you're some kind of badass fighter. I have to admit, I'm intrigued."

Nezuko frowned, stepping protectively closer to Muichiro. "Leave him alone, Ume. He's our friend."

Ume rolled her eyes. "Relax, Nezuko. I'm just curious. Maybe we could hang out sometime, Muichiro. I'd love to see those skills in action."

Muichiro's expression remained impassive. "I'm not interested."

Ume's eyes narrowed, clearly not used to being rejected. "Suit yourself."

As Ume walked away, Nezuko turned to Muichiro, her eyes filled with concern. "Are you sure you're okay? You've been acting different lately."

Muichiro sighed, his resolve wavering under her worried gaze. "I just... I want to make sure you're safe, Nezuko. There are people who would want to hurt you because of me."

Nezuko reached out and gently squeezed his hand. "We'll get through this together, Muichiro. You're not alone."

---

After school, Muichiro decided to confide in Tanjiro. He knew Nezuko's brother was strong and dependable, and he needed all the help he could get to protect her.

"Tanjiro, can we talk?" Muichiro asked as they walked down the hallway.

Tanjiro nodded, his expression serious. "Of course. What's going on?"

Muichiro took a deep breath. "I need to tell you something about my past. It's not something I'm proud of, but you need to know. There are people after Nezuko because of me."

Tanjiro's eyes widened with concern. "What do you mean?"

Muichiro quickly explained his history with the Muzan Company, his decision to leave, and the recent encounter with Akaza. Tanjiro listened intently, his expression growing more determined with each word.

"Thank you for telling me, Muichiro," Tanjiro said once Muichiro finished. "We need to protect Nezuko, no matter what. I'll do everything I can to help."

Muichiro felt a surge of gratitude. "Thank you, Tanjiro. I appreciate it."

As they continued to discuss their plans, they were joined by Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Genya. Zenitsu, still wary of Muichiro, couldn't hide his curiosity.

"So, you're really a former assassin?" Zenitsu asked, his voice a mixture of awe and suspicion.

Muichiro nodded. "Yes. But that's in the past. My focus now is protecting Nezuko."

Inosuke grinned, his wild energy barely contained. "Count me in! I love a good fight."

Genya, despite his imposing appearance, remained silent but nodded in agreement. His eyes held a quiet determination, and Muichiro could see the resolve in him.

With a plan forming and allies by his side, Muichiro felt more prepared to face the threats looming over them. The Muzan Company wouldn't stop, but neither would he. He had something worth fighting for now, something more precious than anything he'd ever known.

As they made their way home, Muichiro's thoughts returned to Nezuko. Her kindness and innocence had given him a new purpose, a reason to fight beyond his own survival. He would protect her, no matter the cost. The shadows of his past were closing in, but Muichiro was ready to face them head-on, determined to forge a future where light and hope could prevail.