Chapter 5

3 years later

As the phone pierced through the tranquillity of my sleep, I groaned, fumbling blindly for it on my nightstand.

"You better have a good reason for calling me this early, Renae!" I grumbled into the receiver, but there was no response. "Hello? Renae? Are you there?" The line was dead. Irritated, I hung up, ready to retreat back into the comfort of sleep.

But before I could even close my eyes, I felt a shock of coldness splash over my face, jolting me wide awake. Ice-cold water dripped down my cheeks, and I blinked rapidly, trying to process what was happening. My gaze snapped to the culprit, and there stood Jason, a mischievous grin plastered on his face as he held a jug of ice-cold water.

My annoyance boiled over, and I launched myself at him, knocking him to the ground with a flurry of punches. "You beast! You scrawny little piece of urgh! Get out! Get out of my room now!" I yelled; each word punctuated with a kick.

Jason laughed uproariously, dodging my blows and scrambling to his feet. "I can't wait until you leave!" I screamed after him as he dashed out of my room.

With a huff, I marched to the bathroom to change out of my soaked clothes, feeling the sting of embarrassment and irritation burning within me. "I'm so getting him back for this," I muttered under my breath, furiously scrubbing at my face.

The clock in the corner of the bathroom taunted me with its early hour — 8 a.m. Who in their right mind pulled off pranks at such ungodly times? I shook my head in disbelief, my annoyance simmering beneath the surface.

After changing into dry clothes, I stomped downstairs to the kitchen, my irritation still lingering like a stubborn shadow. Jason was already there, sipping on a cup of orange juice with a smug expression.

"Are you gonna make breakfast?" He asked. His smirk only widened, and I could feel the tension crackling between us.

"I'll rather die, J," I retorted sarcastically, rolling my eyes at his attempt at conversation. I reached for my cereal in the cupboard and got the soy milk from the fridge.

"I asked that girl I was telling you about to come over, so don't be here when she does," Jason announced suddenly.

I scoffed, sceptical. "Don't worry, I won't be. I'm going out with the girls, and then I might go over to Gabrielle's house. So, you don't have to worry about me being here when you're taking advantage of that poor girl," I shot back, my words laced with disdain.

Jason's expression faltered for a moment before he regained his composure. "It's not like that, Tess. I really like her," he reiterated, his voice tinged with a hint of defensiveness.

I folded my arms across my chest, unconvinced. "Why? Tell me why you like her so much?" I pressed, determined to understand his sudden infatuation.

He sighed, running a hand through his tousled hair. "It's hard to explain," he began, his voice trailing off as he searched for the right words. "She's just... different, you know? Maria-Beth is kind, funny, and she's got this spark that draws you in. When I'm with her, I feel like I can be myself, without any pretence or expectations."

I softened slightly at his explanation, sensing the sincerity in his words. "But what about her makes you think she's worth risking your heart for?" I prodded gently, wanting to delve deeper into his feelings.

Jason hesitated, his gaze drifting to the floor as he contemplated his response. "I guess it's the way she sees the world," he finally replied, his voice tinged with a touch of vulnerability. "She's got this way of looking at things, like everything is an adventure waiting to happen. It's infectious, you know? Makes you want to see the world through her eyes."