Chapter 4

The morning sun peeked through the curtains, casting a soft glow over my room. I stretched, savoring the peace before the chaos of the day. Last night's dinner still played in my mind, a mix of embarrassment and curiosity swirling in my thoughts. Andrew's words and the look on his face lingered, making me wonder what lay ahead.

I glanced over at my phone, half-expecting a message from the girls, but there was nothing. I sighed and decided to get dressed. As I pulled on my favorite pair of jeans and a comfy sweater, I heard a soft knock on my door.

"Tess, you up?" Gabrielle's voice filtered through, and I smiled.

"Yeah, come in," I replied, brushing my hair.

Gabrielle entered, looking as put together as ever. "What's up?" she asked, a mischievous glint in her eye.

I laughed. "Not much, was really about to get some breakfast and head back to bed. Just wanted to avoid the world and drama if I can. It seems as if every time I socialize, I embarrass myself."

Plopping down on my bed, she spoke. "Yea... Your mom told me all about those little encounters." She laughed.

I narrowed my eyes. "Mom!" I yelled out my room door. Her only response was laughter.

"Speaking of drama, what did you think of Andrew last night?" She asked.

I paused, considering my words. "He was... interesting. I didn't expect him to choose St. Peter's High, I can say the least."

Gabrielle nodded thoughtfully. "But maybe it's a good thing. We could use a little excitement."

"Excitement or trouble?" I teased, but the truth was, I wasn't sure which it would be.

"Maybe both," she said with a wink. "Come on, let's grab some breakfast."

We headed downstairs, the smell of freshly brewed coffee filling the air. Mom was already at the kitchen table, sipping her coffee and reading the newspaper.

"Morning, Tessa." she greeted me with a warm smile.

"Morning, Mom," I replied, grabbing a mug and pouring myself some coffee.

"What are you guys gonna do today?" Mom asked as she reached for the toaster.

Trying to sound casual. I say, "I really want to stay in today."

Gabrielle raised an eyebrow. "We are not staying in today. It's a beautiful day in Monterey. The beach is just calling our name. Even a walk around the mall."

She bit into her toast. "Maybe accidently run into your neighbor." She said slyly.

"So, I can embarrass myself again?" I sarcastically asked.

"I can tell you; she has had enough of that Gabrielle." My mother mocked.

"Mom, that's not funny!" I chuckled.

Mom chuckled. "I'm gonna head out. You girls have fun today." She wished.

"Bye, mom."

"Bye, Mrs. Kingsman."
"Let's see what the girls want to do." Gabrielle suggested.

"Let's hope they say that they'll stay in." I received narrowed eyes and a scowl from Gabrielle and I chuckled.

Gabrielle placed the phone on the counter top and went into the cabinets. "Ruffles... Ruffles... Ruffles..."

"The next cabinet." I advised. Then I heard our group message tone coming from her phone signaling a response from one of the girls.

"Can you check that?" She asked as she continued to look for the chips she wanted.