Five

Alfred was running.

He had no idea where, or why. He was just running blindly, rain pounding against him as he ran against his fate. Determined to keep going, even if he had no idea why.

Then he saw what he was looking for. A figure, in the distance. Green eyes piercing into his soul, a blank look on their face as they study him from a distance, blond hair swaying in the storm that surrounded them.

England. His England, the one he wanted so badly. He wanted to feel safe, the two of them together.

And so he kept running, but never felt like he was getting any closer. Screaming his lover's name, who just continued to stare blankly.

"ENGLAND!" He screamed, in one final act of desperation. Reaching forward, trying to grasp him...

And then everything was gone. The world faded to white, and he woke up. All alone, in bed.

He sighed, pulling the duvet over his head, wishing he could drown in it, na forget that dream. Forget how real all of that had felt, and how scared he was... To loose someone important to him.

England had always been there for him, even if he hated to admit it. An that was the only reason America forced himself to get up, trudging down the familiar path towards the world meeting.

                                  *

"Iggy, dude, I had a weird dream!" He remarked cheerfully, ignoring all of the shouting around them.

"Alright..." The other nation mumbled, still finding things to take notes about in the dull meeting. America's page was just full of doodles and disinterested, meaningless scribbles.

"You won't leave me alone, right?" He asked, voice more serious than his usual upbeat tone. It earned a worried glance from England.

"Of course not... That is, unless you decide to take over the world. Why do you ask?"

"No reason... As long as you stay with me. I'll be happy!"

England looked at him, confused, but didn't press it.

                               *

"ENGLAND!" America found himself shouting into the silence, falling into the same dream the next night. The rain was falling down on him harder. Every step he took felt like an eternity, and everything around him was different.

England wasn't in the distance. He was gone, and America couldn't find him, no matter how much he ran. His arms grasped the air, face hitting the pavement (sidewalk for any Americans) beneath.

He inhaled shakily, footsteps in the distance, someone walking up to him. He looked up, noticing a familiar person stood in front of him.

England scowled. "Pathetic. I could never love someone like you, America. Stop chasing your dreams, just grow up."

I could never love someone like you.
I could never love someone like YOU
I COULD NEVER LOVE SOMEONE LIKE YOU

"BUT I LOVE YOU, ENGLAND! DON'T LEAVE!"

Heads turned to stare. America found himself back in the meeting, in reality again. But... he had just confessed his feelings. In front of everyone.

"Guys, that was a joke, I swear..." He laughed nervously, forcing a smile onto his face. They all watched him the same way, judging him.

"America." England responded quietly. "A word outside, please."

He nodded numbly, pushing his chair back and following England outside. He was done for. This was the moment he had been dreading. So he had to pretend not to be affected when, inevitably, England said no.

"America. The thing is-"

"You hate me, I'm just the colleague that you tolerate, and I embarrassed you! I'm sorry, I failed!"

He braced himself, waiting for the disappointed look, or for the laughter. But instead, England... Hugged him?

"You're so dense sometimes." The smaller nation smiled, genuinely smiled, and kissed him softly. "Have a good night, love."

Iggy called everyone that, right?! It didn't mean... It couldn't...

He stared, speechless, watching England walk off.

And again, he found himself slipping into the same dream.

The rain was soft, the air smelling of earth. He was running quickly, feeling like he could do so for days. He embraced the figure that awaited him, hugged England tightly, never wanting to let go.

And when he finally woke up, the one he had always loved was right by his side. And he smiled.

America kissed the Englishman on the cheek gently. And he whispered, not wanting to wake him up.

"I love you. And I promise, I will never let you go."

-The end-