Perfect Shield

"Hey, are you doing alright?" 

Life in Famicom County is starting to get rough. You know the places, but not the people. But the fact that Hero TJ is still by your side makes things a little easier on you. 

You let out a heavy sigh. "I just don't feel like I fit in. Anywhere."

TJ frowns. You rarely see him frown, so you know it's bad... until his eyes suddenly light up.
"Hm. I think I have an idea. Why don't you come with me, and we can try and find some extra teammates for a Squad Strike battle?" 

You start to feel a little better. "Sure," you reply. It can't be that bad, can it?

Not even thirty minutes later... 

"Fancy seein' you here, fool!" 

You start to sink into the hood of your jacket. That must be the DT guy that Hero TJ told you about a few days ago... 

TJ doesn't seem phased at all, even with DT lashing out at him. 
"Dark TJ, can you at least try to make a good first impression?" 

Dark TJ? So that's why they look so similar... Although just why that's the case is painful to think about. You just stand there wondering about it while TJ and DT argue. 

DT's voice rings out, bringing you back to reality. "Can't believe you brought a dope like them to a Smash battle," he snarls. "It's like you want to lose!" 

"Don't get ahead of yourself, DT," TJ objects. "I just thought this would be a great opportunity for them to get to know some people." 

DT scowls and turns his back, but then side-eyes you, glaring.
"Why don't ya come back when you're not so pathetic. You're just gonna waste my time." 

You tug on the drawstrings of your hoodie even further, burying yourself in it out of shame. Dark TJ doesn't seem to care one bit - he just walks away.

"Hey... Don't listen to him," Hero TJ says, resting a hand on your shoulder. At that moment, you start to feel a little bit better. You lean into him and rest your head on his chest. That catches him off guard for a minute before he hugs you, trying to comfort you. 
"You're not pathetic, at least not to me," he reassures you. "I think you're great, actually."

His voice is all you can seem to hear. It's all you want to hear at this point. He's the only thing keeping you from breaking down completely. Like a shield over your heart.

You almost don't hear yourself say, "thank you."