Chapter 3: White Eyes Can't Lie

"And your father- gosh, he was nothing special." Uncle Dylan laughed as he served me my plate. I stared down at the green mush next to my steak.

"What is this..?" I poked at it, both Ricky and Uncle Dylan staring at me. Ricky began to laugh.

"It's stuffing, haven't you had it?" Uncle Dylan asked, furrowing his brows. I curled my nose, pushing it away.

"Uhm... I think, but it didn't look like that..." I cleared my throat, watching his smile soften. He sat down, laughing as he shook his head. "Don't worry, I don't want it either!" Ricky laughed, Uncle Dylan sighing. "You haven't tried it..." He replied.

Ricky crossed his arms, his tight blond curls shifting across his forehead.

"Well, that's alright... Let's eat." He shook his head, pouring the steak sauce across the steak.

I leaned my head into my hand, gazing out the large windows into the snow. It's been 3 days since I saw Basil. He hadn't visited nor did Gem. My questions grew with every southern dinner.

But I was told I was going to the high school here for the remainder of my junior year. I was convinced I would be given a laptop for online school, but it wasn't so.

It upset me a bit. When I was told as soon as Uncle Dylan left I screamed into the pillows in my bedroom. I hate orientation. I hate new teachers and classes, and don't even get me started on the students.

I cut the side of the medium rare steak, the blood seeping out. My eyes widened as I stared down. "Oh, goodness I'm so sorry, I should've asked how you like it." Uncle Dylan got ready to stand up, but I shook my head. "No, it's fine... No worries."

I stabbed the piece of meat, staring at it. I have never eaten meat medium rare... I shoved it into my mouth, Uncle Dylan and Ricky both staring holes into me. It didn't taste bad. It was good. It didn't taste like iron. I swallowed and nodded.

"I like it.." As soon as the words left my mouth, they both cheered. "We got you to try something new, that's wonderful- see, even she can do it." Uncle Dylan nudged Ricky. He smiled, nodding his head.

I took a bite of the stuffing next. It was odd and salty. It tasted good. I nodded my head again, smiling toward Ricky. "It's not bad." Ricky's eyes lit up as he processed my words.

"I... Want to try it too." Ricky said, smiling so wide his missing baby teeth were noticeable. I broke into a wider smile, laughing under my breath. My chest warmed as he took a bite. Uncle Dylan smiled at me before his warm brown eyes returned to the plate.

Oh, I'm being a good influence. This feels different. I was used to hearing the opposite. Ricky had been watching me a lot, but today was the first time I'd ever had him trust my judgment. I continued to gaze out the window.

Tiny black cat ears popped up from the bush. Gem rolled out, her tail swishing as she glanced my way.

"Oh, that cat must be cold..." Uncle Dylan sighed. My eyes shot over toward him. "Do you see it often..?" I asked, Ricky turning around as well.

"Sometimes I see it early mornings. It only ever sniffed me once then hurried off." He shrugged. I cupped my hands together, furrowing my brows. She must be more social than Basil. However, maybe he avoids people due to his appearance. Maybe he doesn't want to scare them.

I slipped the fork into my mouth, trying to connect any of the dots in my brain. I wonder what that stone is.

-

I placed down a bowl of cat food at my feet. I don't know if she'll want it. I probably wouldn't. But, cats like fish and it's atrocious... I nudged the bowl with my foot, rubbing my cold arms as I leaned over the banister. Rustling sounded from the woods as Gem rushed out.