Chapter 5: There's Something in Your Home

My window was fixed, but from what I saw the outside of the wall was still busted. The bricks were damaged, that was something I hadn't thought could happen from a tree... I told Uncle Dylan I was going to go with Lune. That I'd be at her place watching movies and wasn't sure if I'd be back tonight. He seemed uncomfortable. I assume from worrying about me disappearing like Aunt Florence, but he let me go.

I packed my bag, placing my laptop at the bottom, a few books on top, and a warmer jacket. I touched up my makeup, fluffed out my hair, and leaned back. Alright... Good.

I leaned back, throwing my bag over my arm and shutting off my lights. I ran down the stairs and waved goodbye to Uncle Dylan in the kitchen. His brows tugged down as I reached for the door. His smile faded as Ricky waved goodbye.

As soon as I got outside, the cold air embraced me. I shivered, the sun was down. It was now dusk. I ran back to where Basil and I were.

Wait.

Where is he..?

Basil's footprints were being filled in by the snow, I couldn't make them all out. But I could still try. I started toward the tree line, I didn't memorize anything when I went chasing after the light. Though, this looks familiar...

It was so quiet you could hear the trees crackling. Tree branches were breaking from the weight of the snow. It didn't feel peaceful now. I never looked at any woods with fear. Especially not in my home town. They were places once full of wonder and beauty, but now it's replaced with a horror I've only felt from movies.

Like a bone breaking, something popped and cracked behind me. I took a deep breath, my heartbeat echoing in my eardrums. Maybe Basil just stepped on a tree limb, he has a habit of coming up behind me.

I turned around. "Basil?"

There was nothing there. Maybe the tree limbs were just falling... I continued on, slowing my walk down until I was about crawling. It's scarier here without Gem or Basil.

I don't like it. Is this what Aunt Florence saw..? I took a deep breath, wrapping my arms around myself. I don't like that thought. Goosebumps raced across my arms. What a gross feeling...

I don't want to imagine what she could've seen. Basil was scared of something the other night, there's more than him... Oh please don't tell me I've made progress on her cases. I'll seem insane if I propose the idea. I'd upset Uncle Dylan with it as well...

I rubbed my hands together, trying to ignore the ideas popping into my mind. But I could only imagine cursed creatures behind me. The ones with razor teeth and narrow eyes. Disfigured bodies and chewing on eyeballs.- Can this stop??

I lost Basil's footprints now. They were filled in by the snow. I groaned, glancing around. Is there any sign of him?

Is that one..?

A tree stood burnt, as if lightning had struck it and split it down the middle. Its limbs were falling off as flames were snuffed out from the snow. I didn't hear thunder and it's only snowing...

I clenched my bag strap and backed up. My back ran into something and I screamed, enough to echo through the trees. A hand clasped over my mouth. I flailed and bit down into the palm. It tasted burnt, like charcoal. "Gah, Roxanne-..." Basil groaned, yanking away.

"Basil?? Stop doing that! Don't shut me up..." I groaned, seeing his black hair come into my vision. I turned around, his hands were shaking. The burnt taste remained on my lips. I curled my nose and spit it off my tongue. "Don't scream like that here..." He put his finger across his lips as he grasped the sleeve of my jacket. Something rustled 5 trees away, shaking a stack of limbs. Basil didn't look frightened by it, so I took his lead. And I don't feel like arguing...