Chapter Twenty One. Periwinkle Berries

Year E2996

Year E2996

Beck

"We missed a spot," Kat whispered in my ear while she brushed her hand on the back of my head.

I turned to face her, swatting her hand away. "Why purple?" I asked, pulling at my now violet-colored hair. The smell of berries masked my senses, forming a headache.

"Because disguising as a safforian means having a hair color that isn't bland like brown." She smiled awkwardly, trying to hide her sarcasm. "Plus, the periwinkle berries were the only ones dark enough to cover your color."

She played with my hair while I glanced at the building hiding us. The rock was black with gold-patterned lightning down the side. An ivy flower overgrew on the fence, connecting to the structure, moving like something from my nightmares. The City of Cerise was full of beauty and fear. The main reason I left Tyran on the spacecraft.

I glanced at Kat as the wind picked up, blowing her curly air into her face. She looked over my shoulder, then pushed me out of the side alley into the street. A tall male safforian nodded at me with his pet insect on a leash, waiting for it to do its business. I tilted my head as a bright green mosquito without wings came to mind.

"Hello, Mr. Beckham," Kat said, kneeling and petting the insect on its head while it purred at her. "Glorious morning to take Fluffy for a walk."

Mr. Beckham removed his hat, showing me his yellow hair. "The weather fly said rain in the forecast."

Kat stood up, doing a double take toward me. Her expression changed to concern. "Well, my friend and I would like to beat the rain, so got to go," she said, pulling me away.

With her hand in mine, she yanked me down the sidewalk. Her bright eyes kept looking at me with a questioning outlook. Finally, she stopped before a kiosk, sifting through the hats. A red baseball cap dropped onto the street. I bent down to pick it up, but Kat kneeled with me, grabbing the hat and placing it on my head.

"Keep this on," she whispered. "Your blue eyes are more pronounced than I thought."

A high-pitched cough had us looking up at a woman with orange hair. "That will be ten orb rocks," she said, pointing at the hat.

Kat stood up, swinging her backpack around. "Of course," she said, digging at the bottom of her bag. "Ten seems a little overpriced." She glanced at the woman. "How about six?"

The woman crossed her arms. "Eight."

"Seven?" Kat opened her palm with the shiny rocks reflecting from the sun.

"This isn't a house sale," the angry woman said.

Kat pulled another rock from her bag, handing over eight to her. "Thank you," she said, running off.