[02] 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘥𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨

✞︎

Rick Grimes was still in a coma. After multiple weeks and multiple visits, the odds that he was ever going to wake up seemed to be getting slimmer and slimmer with each passing day. The flowers Shane had delivered to him days ago were now shrivelled up and dead, their remains scattering to the floor every once in a while.

The world had turned even more to shit in those few weeks- if that was even possible. Bella's dad seemed to be occupied every single day- if she didn't see much of him before, she certainly didn't now. The news reports grew more and more concerning, Bella eventually stopped watching them; the distressing words they were using were starting to scare her.

She'd already packed a bag a week ago. 'Just in case'. That's what she told herself, but the fantasy of her actually having to use it was now a deep, booming reality.

Her dad had broken the news to her earlier that morning. Although, it still didn't feel real to her. Evacuate? Why? What good would that even do? She knew the disease had already spread all over the world- where would they even be safe?

They had argued for hours; at breakfast, in the car on the way to the hospital- hell, even in the reception area where sick patients were fleeing from their rooms for any chance at safety. She just didn't want to believe it.

"You gotta listen to me, girl, this here's serious, alright?" Shane's voice echoed through her head. Her father thought it was a great idea to leave her in a room with him for a while- told Shane to 'knock some sense into her'.

"I know, Shane, you've told me like, a thousand times!" Her arms flailed in the air, frustration bubbling up inside of her.

He gave her a pointed look. "Maybe I have, but you're still not listening to me"

But how could she? A million thoughts raced around her mind. Having known the hospital was now littered with zombies sent a new wave of fright through her. They were supposedly 'contained'- whatever that meant. But, it wasn't a safe place to be anymore- and with no sign of Rick waking up; Bella feared for the worst.

BANG, BANG, BANG

Multiple gunshots suddenly echoed throughout the halls, cutting off Bella's train of thought. Blood-curdling screams followed directly after, making Bella's eyes widen in fear as her body turned rigid. Shane immediately bolted for the door, his hands quickly making purchase on the gun that sat in his belt.

The door creaked open slightly, allowing the noise of the gunshots and screams to flow into the open room, bleeding into her eardrums. Bella shot up in a panic, her hands instinctively covering her ears as she watched Shane peek his head around the corner.

But as quickly as he opened the door, he closed it again, and as he turned around; Bella knew the look on his face was something she'd never, ever forget.

Strange noises split down the hallway, loud bangs, crashes and even weird groaning sounds reached their ears, leaving the pair helpless and clueless as to what really was happening outside.

The deafening sound of gunshots only seemed to increase, the chaos unfolding right behind the closed door. More screams of fear and pain prickled her ears again, her heart suddenly dropping as she realised. Her father was still outside in this mess.

"My dad!" She cried, making a beeline for the door, her hands slipping on the cool metal of the door handle as she tried to pry it open.

"No, Bella" Shane's stern voice pierced through her ears, his arms hooking under her shoulders to try and pull her away from the door.

"They're shooting out there, Shane! He's gonna get shot!" She blabbered out, pointlessly trying to wrestle against his much bigger body.

"He's a police officer, Bella, he knows what he's doin'!" Shane asserted firmly, his grip tightening as he tried to restrain her.