3.

the bar bustled, most people drunkenly swaying along to the melodic tune that was none other than robin buckley's familiar voice-- the stragglers simply crowded steve's bar. rounds of drinks were being served by the employees, who were racing back and forth. bar, table, bar, table.

tucked in the break-room behind the commotion was mike wheeler, lucas &  erica sinclair, dustin henderson, and will byers. per steves permission, of course. hanging out at a tavern as fresh adults was of course considered the climax of their staggeringly badass lives-- not shielding the town from what was once it's impending doom, or anything.

steve shouldered his way into the unkempt room, his curly brown hair slick with sweat, and clinging to his forehead. his classy uniform was simple, black slacks and a polo-- but somehow, he managed to look dishelved.

"steve!" the boys shouted in unison, their voices giddy. erica folded her arms over her chest and pouted, the dice poised infront of her. steve clued in on the fact he was interrupting, but he couldn't mask the surprise he felt. erica had never engaged in such a dorky activity.

steve quirked a brow, maneuvering himself through the tight area into the empty space next to will. "hey boys and... erica?"

she pursed her lips, "i'm apart of the hellfire club now."

he paused, hellfire-- the club eddie founded. his heart ached a little with the pain he was accustomed to.

"you are?" he blinked, it wasn't exactly in character for the prissy fourteen year old to be apart of a dorky club; albeit it be something her brother is apart of. steve had to give her some credit, she went through everything at such a young age-- she hadn't ever really had the chance to grow into her own skin. seeking out things considered normal by her peers, those peers being her older brother and his friends, was totally acceptable.

"my name is lady applejack. and i'm a chaotic good half-elf rogue, level 7," she announced proudly, mike released an exasperated sigh as she continued her tangent,

"and i will sneak behind any monster you throw my way and stab them in the back with my poison-soaked kukri," erica smirked.

"we're playing a one-shot, eddie taught erica a lot but she's still learning," will offered with a smile; to which the younger girl scrunched up her nose and passed a glare to will. steve's heart melted, oh, erica was apart of hellfire to honor eddie-- wasn't she? maybe she enjoyed it, who really knows?

"will came up with this super awesome idea," mike said, his voice radiating with energy. everyone nodded in agreement.

"a village got wind of a bandit attack coming soon," he began in a low tone, pinching his eyebrows together, "and they want to hire us-- the adventurers--! to protect them!" dustin finished for mike, breaking into a toothless grin. steve still felt a pinch of pity for the young man; he was lucky to have his savant little girlfriend, suzie, even though she lived hundreds of miles away.

"sounds cool," steve said with a small nod. he relaxed into the chair, his muscles sore from bartending the past few nights.

"my roll!" erica snatched the dice and cupped her hand, shaking them roughly.

will turned to steve, "have you spoke with nancy or jon lately?" he whispered, his tone quavered with concern. his interest went from their game to will's  uneasy face.

steve shook his head 'no,' accompanied with a curious tilt of his head. whatever this was about, it must be serious-- steve was, in honesty, the last person to go to when it came to jonathan and nancy. he figured that after the whole situation with jonathan being away, he might have a shot with nancy again, but jonathan swooped in and took nancy right out of his life once again. it's for the better, steve figured, because he needs to process eddie's death-- something that now burdens his mind perpetually.