Chapter 4

METROPOLIS SKYLINE 

Hawkman seems weary, almost regretful, as he begins his address. Though he speaks normally, his voice is somehow artificially modulated; his words BOOM like thunder.
HAWKMAN"People of Earth. I am Katar Hol. Chief Legionary of the Thanagarian army, and Emissary of the Imperial Alliance. In the name of the Lords I serve, I place this planet under the protection of the Two Empires." As he speaks, a giant SPIRE, easily the diameter of a CITYBLOCK, descends from the black cloud behind him. It's the leading edge of an IMPOSSIBLY large space craft, the exact size of which is still hidden within the Black Cloud. A squadron of about a hundred WARSHIPS disengages from the spire. The ships are obviously high technology, but with GHOULISH, almost APOCALYPTIC ornamentation - half fighter jet, half DEMON FROM HELL.With horrifying speed and military precision, these warships fly into a tight formation behind Hawkman.
HAWKMAN"Your world leader or leaders will lay down their arms, and swear fealty to the Imperial Alliance. In exchange for peaceful cooperation, you will know the protection of our army, our technology, and our...(with difficulty)... our god."

METROPOLIS SKYLINE

Just off the coast of Metropolis, there is a vague, air-planeshaped shimmer of light hanging in the air. An aircraft in ahighly advanced STEALTH MODE.

BATPLANE

Inside his cloaked BATPLANE, Batman watches Hawkman address the city from a video monitor in his dashboard.

HAWKMAN"In exchange for defiance or resistance, you will know their wrath. Choose." Batman flips switches on his dash. On Batman's screen, a sophisticated targeting reticule moves over Hawkman's faceAlfred's voice sounds in Batman's earpiece.
ALFRED"Surely, you're not going to engage all of them alone, sir?"BATMAN Thinking about it.
ALFRED"Shall we attempt diplomacy? Open a hailing frequency with the invaders"
BATMAN"No. It's a military negotiation.Don't need a costumed hero trying to" -WHOOOSH! The Batplane is rocked in the wake of a BRIGHT GREENSTREAK flying just underneath. Batman looks outside, in time to see a FLYING MAN in a bright green suit flying right at Hawkman

METROPOLIS SKYLINE

GREEN LANTERN (Hal Jordan) streaks over and hovers defiantly between Hawkman and Metropolis. He is wearing a jade mask and a gleaming, luminescent green and black suit. It glows with the same energy as the POWERRING on his right hand.
GREEN LANTERN"You have no idea how little time I have for this right now." As imposing as Green Lantern might be to a normal man,Hawkman is not impressed. He barely seems interested as he looks Green Lantern over.
HAWKMAN"What are you?"
GREEN LANTERN"What I am is the Green Lantern in charge of this particular region of space." HAWKMAN"You are Earth's ruler?"
GREEN LANTERN"More like Earth's space-cop. And let me say, as a cop...(points at Black Cloud)... you can't park that thing here." 

BATPLANE

Batman watches the conversation on his monitor, as his computer systems analyze Green Lantern's physiology, focusing on his ring
GREEN LANTERN"Plenty of spacious parking available on the planets for and aft..."
BATMAN"Idiot."

OVER METROPOLIS BAY 

Superman (Clark Kent) hovers hidden inside a cloud just over the Metropolis Bay. His eyes glow a soft blue. We see his TELESCOPING, X-RAY POV of Hawkman and Green Lantern's conversation.Though they must be miles away, we hear them as Superman hears them, as if they were right in front of him.Green Lantern motions for Hawkman to leave like a traffic cop moving cars along.
GREEN LANTERN"Let's go. Keep it moving."Superman shakes his head at Green Lantern's antics.
SUPERMAN"Moron."Suddenly, Superman looks back over his shoulder, as if hearing something approaching. He flies off in a red and blue STREAK