Chapter 4: Shadows

( This Chapter was Brought to Your By YAMATO DAMASHII!!!)

**October 23, 2001**
**7:30 AM**

Before the start of the Yokohama Conference, members of the Japanese Imperial Diet convened in secrecy. Allowing further foreign forces within Japan. This decision could shape Japan's future for better or worse.

"Has Japan truly fallen so low to allow such an intrusion?" one cabinet member asked, his voice tinged with disappointment.

The concern was palpable. The Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) and the Imperial Japanese Maritime Defense Force (IJMDF) were likely to react violently. Many within the military clung to their idealism, often overlooking the increasingly dire situation. Prime Minister Sasaki spoke with resolute determination, "We must face the truth that many have ignored. The Beta are at our doorstep, and Alternative IV has yet to yield any results."

The room fell silent, the gravity of the situation sinking in. They were gambling on an unknown entity, the United Nations Space Command (UNSC). The best-case scenario would be their resemblance to UN forces; the worst, they might act like the Americans.

"You should know, Prime Minister Sasaki, the military won't take kindly to this decision, especially with the arrival of more foreign presence," the Minister of Defense stated bluntly.

"Did we at least gain the blessings of both the Shogun and the Emperor? At this rate, they might just rebel," another cabinet member asked, his voice filled with concern.

"The lack of results from Alternative IV forces our hand," another member pointed out, pausing to consider the implications.

Prime Minister Sasaki Korechika nodded, "Alternative V would be rendered useless with the arrival of the UNSC. This gives us a chance, until December, to at least save Japan." The cabinet members began to murmur amongst themselves, their uncertainty and fear evident.

"Our options are limited, Prime Minister, but with the blessings of the Emperor and Shogun, we could possibly host the UNSC forces. Otherwise, they might choose Europe," another member stated, as whispers of doubt and hope brewed among the cabinet.

Finally, a sense of clarity began to form. "Either way, we must take this risk. The chances of Japan's survival are far higher with this course of action," the Prime Minister declared firmly. Even if it meant swallowing their dignity and pride, Japan's survival remained their utmost priority.

---------------------------------------------------------

**October 23, 2001**
**Tokyo, Shogun's Palace**
**8:00 AM**

"Your Highness, Yuuhi-sama, are you certain you should go in person? Couldn't the Foreign Minister or the Prime Minister attend instead?" The question came from one of the Shogun's blue-haired retainers, her voice laced with concern.

The Shogun, Yuuhi, replied with a voice full of grace and softness. "This conference may prove to be far more crucial than any we have attended before. It is an opportunity granted to us by the Under Secretary."

"Couldn't you have at least delegated it to someone else, Yuuhi-sama?" Her retainer pressed on, worry evident in her tone due to the sheer uncertainty surrounding the UNSC.

"Why do you doubt me, Maya-san?" Yuuhi inquired gently.

Maya fell silent, finally sighing in resignation. "Isn't this opportunity given to us one that could entirely change Japan?" Her question hung in the air, a reflection of the gravity of their situation.

Yuuhi's retainer, standing by her side, nodded before offering her opinion. "While that may be true, Yuuhi-sama, there is still the mystery of their true nature," she warned, her voice steady but cautious.