Chapter 4 Trouble

"You girls ready, yet!" I heard a frustrated Lucy call.
"Yes," I said, putting on my gloves.
"I was ready a while back," Susan muttered.
When I stepped out of my room, My younger sisters were waiting.
"You look beautiful," Lucy commented, "And so do you, Susan."
"As do you two," I answered, sighing, "Can't wait until this is over."
"Make sure you are with civilized company," Susan told me.
"What's wrong with not...." I questioned
"Philip is here again and don't go near him, last time you talked about hunting. You were boasting about how you killed the Bartiger," Susan said annoyed.
"What's wrong with Philip?" I inquired, crossing my arms.
"He's King Lune's servant! There's plenty of things wrong with that!" Susan was horrified.
"So." I retorted.
"Verity, you're a queen, not a..."

"I won't if that's what you wish," I answered miserably

"Susan, you shouldn't be worried about that," Ruth groaned, "So what if Verity talks to some servant boy about hunting."

"It's improper behaviour for a queen," Susan replied, "And don't just dance with Anwir, Tumnus, or our brothers."

I rolled my eyes.

"I don't know why you have to be so hard on Verity," Lucy protested.

"I know why," I muttered; she badly wanted Armand and me together, which was never going to happen.

"Are you girls coming?'Asked Edmund as our brothers came.

"Of course," I answered coldly, grabbing Peter's arm. He pulled my arm through the crock of his elbow. Susan took his other arm. And  Lucy and Ruth both took Edmund's.

We walked down to the ballroom. A chorus of applause rang out.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," a man announced, "I am proud to announce, High King Peter the Magnificient, Queen Susan the Gentle, King Edmund the Just, Queen Verity the Faithful, Queen Ruth The Humble, and Queen Lucy the Valiant."

Everyone bowed and clapped their hands. I tried to give every day my biggest smile.

And then the dancing began. The baroque, which I liked the best.

I stood and watched the others dance until Armand came up to me.

"Would you care to dance, your majesty," he bowed.

"I suppose," I nodded. He took my hand and we walked to the middle of the room.

"I'm sorry about upsetting your brother," he apologized.

"It's alright; Peter can be a bit overprotective at times," I replied; I caught sight of Adelaide standing with her mother, a stab of jealousy on her face.

"I can be that way sometimes with my sister; you should come to visit my place, my sister would be honoured to meet a queen of Narnia, and she loves your book. I find it quite exciting myself." He said.

"Thank you, Prince Armand, but I must say you are very blunt and rash," I returned.

"Well, I have to or else how would I get a beautiful queen like you to come and visit," he answered; our eyes met.

I blushed, "I will try, Armand, but there is a guarantee."

"Well, it would be a pleasure to have you at our home," he smiled down at me.

After our break, Irvin came up to me, "Queen Verity, may I have a chance to dance?"

"Yes," I nodded.

'So, I heard your friend Prince Armand is coming with us on the voyage," he told me, cooly; I could tell he was jealous.

"Oh," I replied, "Well, we just met. We aren't friends, well, not close friends, at least."

Irvin nodded in understanding.