Those Remaining

*a few hours earlier*
{HIKARI'S POV}
I really hate waiting. The worst part of waiting is not knowing what's happening.

After my declaration, ironing out the finer details of the plan, and quickly deploying the extra troops, all I have left to do is wait and keep morale up.

One problem: the suffocating silence is making it really difficult to keep a positive straight face. I mustn't give in to hopelessness! Everyone is looking to me for support. I can't let them down!

"Are we leaving?" A kid runs up to me, crying and hugging my legs. She's Clara's baby sister.

I kneel down and pat her head. "Not yet, Clarisse."

"When?" She sniffles.

"I—I don't know." My voice cracks. "But, until the second horn sounds, we haven't lost yet. I believe in everyone who's fighting for us. I believe in Jun and General Isamu and Ebisu's dad and even Ren. I believe in your dad too, Clarisse. I have faith in our plan, so I'm waiting patiently for everybody to return! Are you with me?"

I kneel down so we're at eye level and poke Clarisse between her eyes. I smile reassuringly.

"Course I'm with you, Princess! I'm right here, ain't I?" Clarisse's expression brightens. She looks hopeful for a second, poking me in the forehead in return.

Then one of the gophers stationed at the West Wall shouts out my name. "Hikari-sama!"

I watch as Clarisse flinches, caving in on herself as she practically throws herself away from me. I straighten my back, brushing off my skirts.

Please be good news. Please be good news. Please be good news.

I'm at the head of the group, my back facing the entrance to the escape route. On the high cliffs above, anchored by several sturdy nets and divots in the mountain face, many boulders loom ominously.

In the event where we evacuate, I'll be the one to clamber up the steep slope, tracing a barely visible narrow path that zig-zags through the underbrush. I'll be the one who cuts the rope that releases the avalanche, destroying the escape route.

Doing so too early could trap innocent people with the invaders to die, but too late and they could break through to chase us down. I won't let anyone else make that kind of life-changing decision.

Besides, I don't think the person who cuts the rope will be able to return to the group. I could be pulled into the avalanche and fall to my death, but these are the risks that I choose to take.

I made a promise to these people that I won't let them die if I can avoid it. I promised to protect them.

I intend to keep that promise.

I blow out the breath I was holding, suppressing a cough. The crowd parts as the gopher runs towards me. My heart hammers louder in my chest.

Please be good news. Please be good news. Please be good news. Please be good news. Please...

He skids to a halt, panting heavily. "The decoy troops worked! The enemies along the West Wall have laid down their weapons and raised white flags!"

My legs fail and I fall to my knees. I press a hand to my chest, soothing my pounding heart.

At the same time, a second sweaty gopher runs from the direction of the fortress. He braces his hands on his knees for support. "The enemy didn't fall for it! The East Gate is currently under seige!"

I let out a harsh breath as my heart sinks to my stomach. Still, this is better than the alternative, in which both sides are attacked simultaneously. We can fend off the attack just like we have been.

I jump into action, fetching the gophers a water skin. They drink gratefully and plop down. They've done well. They deserve a chance to rest up.

Lord Kirigawa is at my side again. He says, " I heard the news. I'll facilitate the movement of troops, so we can send reinforcements without leaving the wall completely defenseless, just in case."

"I'll go to the wall then." I nod. "We need to figure out what to do with those who surrendered."

"Understood. Stay safe, Princess."

"Of course. You too, Lord Kirigawa."

We head our separate ways. I jog as quickly as I dare, making it to the West Wall in just over an hour. I admit, I had to take breaks to rest my lungs. When I see them, the soldiers are celebrating.

I carefully sidestep the revelers, but can't avoid being pulled into no less than three gleeful bear hugs. I don't think the soldiers even recognize me in their triumphant exhilaration. They jump at each other like monkeys, cheering and crying.

I finally free myself and make it to the top of the wall. Up here, the celebration is more muted.

The troops wear a fasçade of seriousness, so the enemy doesn't think our guard is too low and take advantage. I can now see why everyone is relieved.

The enemy army—which appears to be mostly drafted Menadians on this side—is leaving. They've abandoned the campsites they built up and are marching away from the rest of Tai's land. They'll be specks on the horizon by sunset.

That direction will go through Tanbarun territory, which is probably how they got here. Clarines is an ally, plus the area is heavily wooded, uninhabited, and defended by the mountains, so Tanbarun border security is notoriously minimal there.

I decide to let them go.

They won't be back, I'm sure of it. They were never as vicious in their attacks as the Cojacan elites on the other side. Besides, what are we going to do, invite them up the wall with ladders?

The West Wall was built with one goal in mind: to keep the invaders out, and to keep us in to some extent. Unlike with the East Gate, there is no easy way through or over the wall.

Even if we did take all of them hostage, we would have nowhere to keep them. The fortress has prison cells, but not enough for those numbers.

They would be cramped, at least ten in a cage meant for two, and sweltering from the heat of so many bodies trapped underground.

We wouldn't be able to provide them with enough food, or medicine, or sanitation, or bedding. They would lose their privacy and their dignity. No human being deserves to live like that. Ever.

Them leaving peacefully is best for everyone involved. Dad can decide what to do with Menad when Ren finally brings him here.

I promise the soldiers that we can break open the special stash of alcohol stored in barrels in the fortress, then leave them to their well-earned celebration. As I get closer to the East Gate, cheers of joy become screams of terror and pain and war.

The battle is still raging on the gate, and everyone else is still waiting. All we can do now is wait. I really, really hate waiting.