Flashbacks

-

-

-

-

"I am quite disappointed Cahaya. A 36 out of 50 is very far from what I've expected from you." A teacher, currently in front of Cahaya's table.

"I'm sorry teacher. I promise to do better next time." Cahaya said, as he continues to look down.

"A sorry won't make me change your results. I hate to break it to you, but you've failed. 37 is the passing grade." The teacher giving a disappointed look.

"Miss [REDACTED], I am truly aware with my results. I don't need to get reminded." Cahaya still looking down.

The teacher sighs, "Unfortunately for the school's guidelines. I have to call your parents regarding your academic performance."

"What?!" Cahaya exclaims. "I'm okay with the criticism you all basically give me, but why do you have to tell my parents!?"

"I know the awful feeling when you let your parents see your low grade. But this is the best we could do to monitor your—"

"No!" Cahaya interrupts. "This is against my privacy! A student's privacy! I'm not trying to say I don't trust my parents with my boundaries but—"

"This is the school's policy, Cahaya. If a student fails their final exams at least once, we will call your parents to talk about your performance." The teacher crosses their arms.

"It's just ONE failed test! By then, the whole class would also get their parents called—"

"Rules are rules." The teacher sighs again. "Then the rules are stupid!" Cahaya trying to look intimidating.

"Enough of this nonsense. Calling your parents won't deduct your grades at all. It's only a parent-teacher conference. Nothing else." The teacher shrugs their shoulders.

Cahaya was forced to stay silent. He doesn't trust this teacher one bit. He fears the teacher will talk negatively about his performance in class.

He knows to himself that he participates in every class, always scores the highest in tests, and finally, the top achiever (Top 1), in class. That's why he finds it stupid that the school needs to call his parents to "monitor his excellent performance."

-

-

He arrives back at home by 4pm, followed by his mother who was just in school for the parent-teacher conference.

"Cahaya." His mom spoke. "Mom?" Cahaya looks back at the parent who was behind him.

The mom kneels down to his level. "Is it true you failed your test recently?" This question caught the attention of his brothers that were around them.

He noticed the number of stares, which got him really anxious. He looks back at his mom and... his vision was starting to get blurry... probably because he felt his tears about to come out from his eyes.

"W-why am I... c-crying?" said by a confused Cahaya. As he tries to look around, he avoids making eye-contact with anyone in the room. He can hear the murmurs around him as he covers his mouth that was about to say something, completely unaware of what's happening.

He then realizes. Is this the feeling of being a failure?  Where everyone looks down on you because of your terrible performance?

Everything went really silent, and he starts to have trouble with breathing. His brothers walked closer with unknown expressions which makes Cahaya feel more anxious and completely started crying.