13) Let's break some fingers

**********************
KALLY'S POV
**********************

'This is annoying,' I said to myself walking along an aisle in Walmart and a trolley leading the way. Two days of what was supposed to be freedom were filled with a guy following me around and not even hiding it. I had screamed at him when he first showed up, but he didn't budge through the entire fit I had thrown. Almost like a father having to sit through his kid's tantrum cause he knows at the end of the day, the kid has no authority over him.

"Curse that bastard," mumbled throwing random and unneeded items in the trolley just to stay a little longer in the supermarket and annoy the man following me.

Just to be sure he was properly irritated, I chose to stand in line instead of a self-checkout. To my surprise, he didn't join me, insisted he chose to stand at a distance and watch me from there.

"This is exhausting!" I sighed leaning down on my trolley, hair spilling to the front and sides. My legs were aching and my back was complaining as well. All I had done the entire day was hop from one mall to the other hoping to get rid of the tail Ilay had forced on me.

As I wallowed in silence, someone gently tapped my right shoulder from behind.
"Hm?" I raised my head glancing to the side.
A forty-something-year-old man stood there looking worried. I had no time to study his features in detail as he handed me a sticky note.
My brows collided, curious and disinterested at the same time. But I was kind enough to read what was written, swearing to hit his nuts if he was trying to flirt with me in my exhausted phase.

"DO YOU NEED HELP? A MAN HAS BEEN FOLLOWING YOU." The note read.

Help? What gave him the audacity to think he could help me? Even the police couldn't do it. My own damned family couldn't. What was a mere normal civilian to do to help me escape Ilay's clutches?
I stood up straight with my eyes on him. Smiling assuringly, I said, "Thanks. But I'm good. He's...um, my bodyguard."

"Are you sure? He hasn't taken his eyes off of you one second," he whispered looking too concerned. "If you'd like, I can walk you out and drive you home. Wouldn't that be alright with you? It's too dangerous-" the man reached out his hand unnoticed and brushed his thumb on my ass and hip, "-for a pretty girl like you to be all alone. I'll just drive you home and make sure you're okay."

The fake smile dropped, revealing my true expression, a hard frown ready to tear through any brick wall and sheet.
For a moment, I had almost fallen for his nice guy act, but it turned out to be a mere illusion that masked his perverted ugliness.

"No thanks!" I shot and whipped around to face the front.

"Come on." He once more groped my ass, snapping all the anger threads I had been holding together.

"Stop tou-" I screamed whirling around, ready to throw hands and legs, just anything to make him growl in pain. But I was a second too late.

"Gyah!" The geezer cried out tumbling out of the line as the tail Ilay had assigned me to, pulled him by bending backward two of his fingers. The whole store suddenly froze to watch the show. "Let go of me you fucking spy! I-"
A crack cut him short, followed by broken fingers, bones breaking through the skin, blood, and his painful scream.

Horrified looks quickly became infectious as everyone stared wide-eyed while others were just recording the whole event as it unfolded. No one. Not a single person came to his aid. And all I could think of was how fucked up the world was. And how an innocent victim could die with people just watching and recording.
The commotion must have attracted the security guards, they came running to the scene. All that while, the man screamed and groveled on his knees, his bleeding fingers still trapped in his attacker's hand.

"Let him go and step aside with your hands-"

"Should I break more?" Ilay's watchdog asked looking at me with a straight face. He must have done this too many times to care or be worried about it.

Whispers. Murmurs. Stares.
They were talking about the two men and myself as well.
'Who is she?'

'Why is he being so cruel?'

'What has he done?'

They were the same questions over and over.

Liquid tension watered down my spine and I remained frozen for a few seconds contemplating what to do. But when the feeling of his fingers brushing my ass without my consent and doing it a second time came back, a side I never knew I had surfaced. Whatever the mess I'd create, Ilay would have to clean it up, right?

"His middle finger as well."

Gasps received my answer and the people close to me quickly isolated me. The women covered their mouths to lessen their shock and gossip.
I scoffed and faced the terrified crowd while the security guards continued urging the watchdog to let go of the middle-aged crybaby.

"What are you mumbling about? No one would have helped me if I told you all he was harassing me. Men like him disgust me!" I screamed at the top of my voice, letting out all the anger I had been holding in for being abandoned by almost everyone I had known.

Why?
Why had they left me alone with a man like Ilay around?
Why hadn't they warned me or told me to flee as well?

I'd find them, and I'd question them myself...all of them.

***********************************

"So you're telling me that this man sexually harassed you and you asked your bodyguard to break his fingers?" The male officer asked, sounding as if he was hearing a dark fairytale. "This is a crime, Ke-"

"Kally!" I corrected sharply, sitting on the cold hard chair in the interrogation room.
"And I'd like to make a call. I shouldn't be interrogated when the real villain is that old man."

"This is a serio-"

"Brandy, I'll take it from here," his partner, an average-looking blonde said eyeing him to calm the hell down. Her eyes then found mine and I could feel a sense of connection, female to female. "Kally Wright, if we may start over... Who is that man to you? Is he really your bodyguard? You don't even know his name."

I looked away, suddenly experiencing a mood swing that went from worse to least worse. "Yes and no."

"What does that mean?" She asked composedly.

I went silent, thinking through any believable answer. Would it be okay to tell her the truth? Would she lose her job if she became aware of my real situation?

"Kally? I need some answers. I can't help you unless I know the whole-"

The door suddenly flung open. "Time's up little detectives-to-be!"
He, he had come! The bastard had shown up?! I had a feeling that he would solve this messy situation but hadn't expected him to come in person.

Our eyes met as he walked past my chair and straight at the two frowning officers.
"Hello, Mary, nice to meet you again. I'm sorry that this is how our second date goes but you see, I'm in a hurry and need this troublemaker out of here."

So her name was Mary? And they had some kind of history?! Interesting.

"Who the fuck do you-" Brandy guy yelled all fired up as he jumped on his feet, only to be shushed by Mary dearest.

"Brandy shut up!"

Brandy's glare shifted from Ilay and fell on Mary. "What, what do you-"

"Officers Hampton, Heights?" A stranger's voice called authoritatively from the entrance as the owner walked into the room with nothing but a single desk, three chairs, and four souls. From his aura, one could tell from afar that he was ranks above these two officers. "That will be all for today. We have everything we need to close this case."

"But Sir!"

"But nothing!" Boomed their superior whose eyes were throwing orders at his juniors.
His expression suddenly softened as he looked my way. "And sorry for troubling you. We'll make sure that you receive the justice you deserve."

My eyebrows were an inch away from flying away due to how far they had risen.