eighteen | the dead girl

I sit on the balcony of the house. The clear, fresh wind flies around me. In the distance, I can see the snowy Austrian Alps, standing proudly. 

My vision warps, and suddenly they're waving at me. Beckoning me over. But I can't go to them. I must stay here, at the estate. 

The air is too cold. 

My skin prickles, pokes. The wind is doing this. Why is the wind being mean to me? Why is everyone being sososo mean to me? 

It's not everyone being mean.

It's the universe.

Maybe it's the universe telling everyone to be mean?

It's not their f a u l t

She left left left you

She doesn't want to see see 

           see you

It's your fault

Lila

You monster

Evelyn is gone now. It can't be because of me. 

It's 

Not

My

fault.

I idly trace my finger along my skin. Sometimes when I don't blink long enough, I can see the blood staining me, the blood that will never leave me. 

Blood of

Girls 

Boys

Men

Women

No one is safe from me. I'm not safe from me.

What if these blood stained hands stained with the blood of others were stained with my blood? Would that make everyone happy?

Evelyn flashes through my mind, like she's been coming and going for the past day. Sometimes I can still see her smile, feel her hand on mine. 

Valentin told me Evelyn and Warren died during a boating accident, trying to leave Europe and start a brand new mafia-free life abroad. 

It just doesn't sound right. How can she be dead? I just saw her yesterday. I talked to her. I hugged her and she smiled at me with her famous Evelyn smile. 

And now she's gone, dead in the sea. 

What if her body is floatingfloating 

Her death, and the death of the Italians' heir, have wreaked havoc on the mafia world. Evelyn and Warren were two of the most important figures, and now they're dead. 

Cold lifeless bodies

Soon to be forgotten

Like

You

The Italians have been scrambling to decide on a new heir, and the Americans— Evelyn's brothers— are dumbstruck at the loss of their most precious sister. 

Everyone is panicking.

Everyone is grieving.

Everyone thinks everything is going to collapse in on itself. 

What if the world just

           C r u m b l e s 

Their funerals are in a week. My family is coming back to collect me for it, to take me back to Paris.