𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

TW: mention of suicide and abuse

𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍. That was all Nicolas Donnelly could think as Aurelia Clairmont sat across from him, tears staining her cheeks. All those years ago, when he opted to remain silent and save himself another beating, he made a vow to himself that one day if someone asked him the right questions, he would tell them everything. Up until now, no one had batted an eye at him, no one had thought to ask the questions. No one except for her. 

"It started after my mom died," he choked out, his voice raspy as though he'd smoked an entire pack of cigarettes. The words fell short on his tongue, and he never thought the day would come where he could sit in front of someone and tell his story. To have someone finally believe him. A part of him was glad it was her. "Just an occasional slap, or a shove. He... blamed me after she died." Nicolas inhaled sharply, preparing himself for the words. It never really did get easier, after all these years. "After she killed herself," he clarified. The girl across from him didn't say anything, didn't do anything except listen to him. 

He wasn't sure if Aurelia knew just how much that meant to him. 

"He never knew that I was up late one night, and I saw him beating her on the kitchen floor when she tried to take the bottle of scotch away from him," he explained. He'd never forgotten that night. Never forgotten the way she'd cried, pleading with his father to be quiet so Nicolas wouldn't wake up. Even when he beat her black and blue, all she'd done was protect him. And he had stood there like a coward and watched it happen. "I always thought it was so unlike her, to do that. To leave me with him, with no note, no explanation. At the time, I never would have thought my father was capable of anything like that, but now..." He trailed off. 

"You don't think she killed herself," Aurelia replied, filling in the blanks for herself. She was always too smart for her own good. She didn't even phrase it like a question, because she knew. She saw him, more than anyone else ever had. Nicolas shook his head stiffly, and she reached out and placed a hand over his and squeezed it once, a comforting gesture, silently telling him to continue. 

"After that, he got worse. More violent," he gulped. "More creative," Nicolas clarified. Aurelia's expression was stiff, like she was trying her hardest to keep it together for him. "One night, he pushed me down the stairs, and I broke my arm. One of my teachers asked me what happened, and I told her what he did to me. When CPS came around and they saw my father, they believed him when he said I had lied to get attention. They decided they had more pressing matters, and left me here with him. He didn't stop after that, he just started hitting me in places where no one would see."

"They didn't believe you?" Aurelia asked, and he hated how sad her voice had sounded, her voice cracking slightly. Nicolas shook his head and glanced away from her. He'd been ashamed of the fact that he'd stuck around for so long and just dealt with it. "And after that, you didn't tell anyone else?"

Again, he shook his head. "The beating he gave me that night was warning enough." She choked out a sob and covered her mouth to stifle it. As difficult it was to sit in front of her and say everything he'd kept hidden for all these years, Nicolas could not deny the fact that he was relieved. Relieved at the fact that he was no longer the only person to bear this secret. 

But more importantly, he was relieved that she'd believed him. 

His father was a senator. He was well respected, and he had friends in high places. Even if he had spoken up, and even if someone had believed him, his father would have still gotten away with it. Whether his friend, the police commissioner, or his precious society came to bail him out, he'd never see consequences. If he spoke up, it would only make things worse for him.