Chapter 6

3 days later.

"Shit, you have a mean right hook, but you kinda have to hit the target for it to have the impact you want!" I pant as I move just seconds before Bethanne makes contact with the wall behind me. "You learn that in pilates? Maybe I should take it up."

Reggie let out a frustrated grunt from the room over where Bucky was now ducking and weaving out of angry, calculated swings.

In assessing my opponent's fighting patterns, I sense Bethanne going in for another swing. Grabbing the picture frame off the wall, I bash it into her head, where she teeters and falls back, discombobulated enough for me to move to help Bucky.

"I should have known better than to trust you two," Reggie grunts as he gets a slight jump on Bucky, shouldering him and taking him to the ground. "Especially you're bitch of a fake wife-"

I go to handle the comment for myself and help Bucky, but something about the slur triggers Bucky to handle the situation on his own, and the next thing I know, he's now on top of Reggie and twisting his arms in a way that causes a wale in pain to follow.

"That's not how you speak about a lady," he grits through his teeth and winds back to swing.

At the same moment, with my attention elsewhere, Bethanne comes from behind me with a piece of glass from the picture frame -that didn't do the job I'd hoped- and slices deeply in the back of my arm, getting a scream and hiss from me.

She's seething when I turn around, her own hand dripping blood on their pristine white carpet from the clamp she has on it, ready to give another slash when the opportunity presents itself.

I hear Bucky shout my name, distracted by my injury, and then catch a glimpse of the tussle that breaks back out between the two men. One problem at a time.

Holding the back of my arm, feeling the blood leave my body faster than I expected, I twist my head to the side at the blonde. I learned the intimidation tactic from Wanda, and when I say it works, it works...

Bethanne's crass smile falls, and she is smart enough to take a few steps back.

"I'm not a gentleman, so I won't hold my tongue, bitch," I add emphasis on the name and start walking to her with my head down and eyes glaring at her. Instantly, she turns on her heel and runs to another room, where I pick up my speed and follow her.

I get my foot in between the doorframe before she has the chance to shut it, and dear God, I wish I had my Doc Martens right now to kick the damn thing down. I shove my shoulder into it, and she stumbles back for a lamp in the bedroom we were in now.

Not well calculated, she throws a small one, and I dodge it as it slams into the door behind me.

"Come on, Bethanne. All those sole cycles and bare classes, and you don't want to see if those muscles work? Throw a hit like a woman. Let's make this more interesting," I move to a fighting stance and ignore the sting on my arm, knowing I have fleeting moments of adrenaline before the blood loss catches up.

"You're just mad you got caught," she spits out, and I mean literally spits out. The saliva would have hit my foot if she wasn't such a sissy. "You think we didn't catch on from the second bug you destroyed? Pretty fucking obvious if you ask me."

I could hear more pieces of furniture breaking off in the other room and realized that maybe this chit-chat needed to end.

"Sure. Let's go with you guys figuring it out sooner. If that makes you feel better about all this," I shrug, rolling my eyes and stepping in to move this party along.
____________