Be Sure Your Oxygen Mask Is Secured

Now, first, I need you to understand that I really don't need you to believe me; I simply need your attention. Because attention is something that's wildly misused and under-appreciated. People will immediately give it to something supple and shiny at a bar, but undoubtedly withhold it when they face someone in need. I mean, what did you say to the last homeless person you met? See what I mean? Nat actually said, "Dude, I'm homeless, too."

No. This isn't Nat. My name is Ramza Bellevue and I've known Nat Bradford for his entire existence. And I can safely say that all you don't know about this incredible individual, well, I could fill a book with it. I mean, what do you think you're reading right now? Where I'm from, it's already been written.

Okay, so let's begin with what you know: Nathaniel Roger Bradford is the adopted son of Dale and Alice Bradford, who called Michigan "Home", however opted to raise their children in Texas. There, they would see their pride and joy blossom into a remarkable young person with seemingly infinite potential; for some reason, he could pick up anything and run with it. He rarely didn't understand how something worked. But, this really didn't surprise either of his parents. They knew he was special from the jump. "Nathaniel" literally means "Gift from God".

The one thing that challenged Nat the most was his understanding of people. They're chaotic and irrational, self-righteous and arrogant. And most of all, they're terrified. Everyone everywhere is so desperate to hold onto that little slice of nothing that they don't actually deserve. If all of it is taken away without notice or decency, the knee-jerk reaction is to bitch and moan about how unfair life is. That's the moment you need to ask yourself: Who the fuck told you life was fair?

Life isn't fair. But, neither is grace. Grace is prevenient and you will never ever deserve it. But, it's there because God knows that the world is broken. And you know it. So, He, of course, knows it, too.

And not one of you understands how unbelievably broken it is quite like Nat. In less than 60 days, he's lost everything, including his father's guitar and his mother's diamond wristlet, while carrying around a 60-pound backpack that contains the embarrassing remnants of his life. He's been treated unjustly at every turn; openly rebuked in public, denied service at establishments, burned by churches and non-profits, neglected by almost all family and friends, held at gunpoint, survived a car accident, refused a ride on public transit, and he's been told he's not allowed to perform because what he does isn't what the host wants. Oh, and he's been arrested. Twice. But, he's endured all of this, all while juggling a full-time job that claims an average of 100 hours each week, battling homelessness, and walking at least 10 miles every day.

What have you experienced in the past two months?

There is one similarity you all share: You're unapologetically ignorant. I mean, you want the world to change, but you don't want to change yourselves. Think back to Algebra: If you want to alter the solution, you first have to alter the variables. You have known this since Middle School, but since then, your pride and ego have stolen your innocence while you blindly follow materialism and capitalism, allowing it to trick you into buying shit you don't need. That's why Corporate America is the greatest magician on Earth; it's made you all believe this status quo is acceptable. All of you have fallen for the trick. You've been fooled.

But, that's Nat's purpose. He's here to fix that. And before you disagree, sorry, but he's already started.

Now, you need to know that Nat isn't a savior; that was already done thousands of years ago by an upstanding citizen of Nazareth. Nat is a possibility. He's here to show you that while the world is broken, you don't have to be. You are capable of amazing things; you simply have to focus and be patient. Most of you struggle with these concepts because you thoroughly enjoy things that provide instantaneous gratification. It's disgusting. Truly horrendous.

I realize there are people who are going to call "bullshit" on all of this. And that's fine. Like I said, I don't need you to believe me. Just because you don't believe something, it doesn't force it to be untrue. I mean, put a priest and a rabbi in a bar and just see what happens.

I'm going to close with this: You no longer need to help Nat. My team has already done that. You just need to believe in him. Believe in this person who has never given you a reason not to. Because, right now, despite what you want to believe, Nat is running scared and he is truly lost. The Kent County Sheriff's Department still possesses his cell phone, so Nat can't really communicate with the majority of you, thanks to 2-factor identification. If he hasn't responded to your message, it's because he doesn't have the means to access it.

But, he will soon. And then, you're going to see exactly what he can do.

Right now, just reach out to him. Let him feel your support because God knows he could really use it. He needs to know that he's worthy of what you take for granted and always have: Love.

Best,
The Gingerbread Man

P.S. If you don't think I'm real, just ask the Manistee City Police Department about me. Hey, boys. Did you enjoy the books before you returned them to the library?