Chapter 43

~Melanie~

Alpha Jessup Law of the Phoenix Pack. I don't think I've ever had any interaction with this pack. I do have a bone to pick, though. Brady is from this pack, and he's a real piece of shit. If this pack breeds individuals like Brady, we have a big problem.

I walk with Andrew to the front of the house. An older man is standing at the door, looking angered. He's tall like Andrew and almost as built. He definitely looks older, which is interesting because even older wolves usually look pretty young. He definitely hasn't been keeping up his workout, if his stomach is any indication. He has a lot of gray hair, not in the silver fox realm of things. Overall, he looks old and slovenly.

Alpha Jessup meets Andrew's eyes with a sneer before turning his eyes on me. The sneer slowly turns, and my stomach churns with it. His eyes start to change to black, and his lust is becoming evident. A sharp growl from my mate is enough to shake him out of his sexual drunkenness. "Alpha Jessup Law, it's a pleasure to meet you." Andrew extends his hand but speaks through clenched teeth. I place my hand in the crook of his arm so I can try to calm him. "I wasn't expecting you this soon."

The Alpha looks at Andrew's hand but doesn't reach for it. "You're holding my top warrior. There was no reason to waste time in getting here." His gaze swings back to me. "Who is this beauty you have there? Might she be willing to make a visiting Alpha more comfortable?" I'm not sure whose growl was louder than the other, but both were powerful enough to shake the walls.

"I'm not sure what you're used to, Alpha," I let all the disdain I could muster slip through. "But I'm not some bedwarmer. I don't make Alpha's 'more comfortable' during their visits. To be honest, that is an ancient practice and pretty inhumane for she-wolves." I step forward, letting Andrew's arm go. "I'm Melanie Richmond, Gamma of the Summit Mountain Pack."

"She's also the future Luna of the Onyx Pack." Alpha Jessup looks between us a few times before opening his vile mouth.

"I don't see a mark on her neck. You know werewolf law.....no mark means you are available." I take enough steps to be in the Alpha's personal bubble, which he seems to enjoy. He's taller than me, but I don't let that stop me. I look him up and down, allowing the disgust to become visible on my face.

"You've been disrespectful since you stepped foot on this territory; it's easy to see where your warrior gets it from. Whether I'm marked or not is none of your concern. If you insist on trying me, we can do so. I'm always up for a challenge, though by the look of things," I look him up and down again, making sure I focus on his overgrown belly. "You've let yourself go a bit, so I'm not quite sure how effective you'd be against me." I take a few steps back, and if it were possible to see, steam'd be coming from his ears.

"Are you going to let this bitch talk to me like this, Alpha Andrew?! She doesn't know her place! Had your father still been around, he would have schooled her and you by now." My mate is next to me in an instant, and I don't know who is holding who back.

"My FATHER is exactly where he needs to be.....six feet under. If you would like to visit, I'm sure that can be arranged." The Alpha's eyes get huge, and I want to laugh. "Take him to the dungeons to collect his trash. I want him off my lands YESTERDAY!" I watch two warriors walk up to the Alpha and wait for him to turn around. He looks between us, probably plotting our murder, before turning to walk out of the door.

Andrew is seething next to me, and I'm not too far behind. Some of these Alphas are truly despicable, and I hate it. I was blessed with a righteous Alpha, and then again when she found her mate. Andrew seems to be on the same level as they are, so I'm not too worried. I just hate that we will have to come across idiots like these often.

~Brady~

I hear doors and gates clang open. I have no idea what they are coming down here for since we've already been given dinner if you can call it that. I know that her challenge isn't until the morning, so I'm not sure what this is about.

A growl rips through the room, and I'd know that growl anywhere. I'm probably in deep shit, but I can't say that I wouldn't have done it again. I guess I would just make sure I won no matter what. "How the hell did you land in the cells of another ALPHA?!" My head drops instinctively, not wanting to anger my Alpha further. "What the hell were you thinking even coming onto these packlands?" I say nothing, knowing there is nothing I can say to make this better for me. "ANSWER ME!" I open my mouth, my tongue tripping over the words I'm trying to form.

"It's that bitch's fault. She always makes things more difficult for those she comes in contact with. She can never just stay in her lane." I watch my Alpha turn his direction to the cell across from me. He's looking at Janice as she lies in her bed. I don't like his attention on her, but what can I say? I try to catch her eyes so I can tell her to leave it be, but she doesn't look at me.

"And who the hell are you?"

"I'm just another victim of hers, someone she felt threatened by." Alpha Jessup throws his head back and laughs heartily.

"I'm assuming that you are referring to the lady of the house." Janice growls at that, causing my Alpha to chuckle again."I've met her and I'm pretty sure you're no match for her." Janice jumps off the bed and stands at the cell bars.

"I can beat her ass without hesitation. Just you watch and see."

"And when will this little display take place?" The amusement in his voice is evident.

"Tomorrow morning." The Alpha doesn't speak for a while. He takes a step toward Janice's cell.

"I'm intrigued. I think I will stick around and see what you're about." He turns to the guards that led him here. "Keep him here and inform your Alpha that I will pick him up," he turns back to Janice, "after the battle in the morning." He doesn't wait for a reply. He heads back the way he came and leaves me in the cell. He can be such a prick sometimes. I sigh and lay on my bed, wondering how things will play out in the morning.