Chapter 14

Candidate

Naputol ang nanantyang titig ko sa lalaki nang isang kamay ang humila sa akin palayo sa eksenang iyon.

"Goodness! Didn't I already warn you about that guy?" pag-o-overreact ng babaeng nakilala ko lang naman kanina. What's with this Chihuahua, really?!

Iritado kong tinanggal ang pagkakahawak nito sa akin. I turned to my back only to realize  that the guy already vanished.

Oh, give me a break.

"What's theirs is theirs," mahinang pang-aalu ko sa sarili. Their problems are theirs to solve; their mysteries are for them to figure out—I'm out.

But why the hell does that innocent-looking lady, who seems softer than my branded mattress, share the same physique and features as the woman I saw that night, transforming like a hungry animal wanting to devour me?

I shook my head. Pilit kong itinuon ang atensyon sa kasalukuyan. Everyone are decently walking their way in one direction—maging ang mga 'di pamilyar na mukha ay ngayo'y nagtitipon-tipon sa kani-kanilang mga grupo.

"Are we all heading to the same place?" tanong ko, trying to ignore her annoying demeanor.

"Yes! You wouldn't imagine how huge Ferovus Sanctum is!" This woman is definitely acting as if a long-lost friend of mine, eh? Binalingan ako nito. "I really can't believe that I'm standing next to a royalty!"

I forced my inner demons to at least make my expression unharmful. "Haven't you heard about the rumors they've entangled up with my name?"

Natigilan ito, causing me to stop walking as well. Malapad itong ngumisi bago sumagot.

"I'm uncertain about the specific curse Princess Marcellina and her friends spread about you. At first, I wasn't really bothered, but seeing you walk from the hallway of the girls' dormitory... Like a fallen goddess from the heavens, I realized I'd finally met my match. And you even chose to sit next to me!" As if I have a choice, 'no!

Hindi ko napigilan ang sarkastikong singhap. The words she's blabbering aren't pleasing for me, her physique isn't my fancy, and don't get me started on her attitude. Ngunit ano pa nga bang magagawa ko? I need to keep my role.

"Oh, really? So you're willing to be acquainted with me even with the rumors... because of my appearance?" inosenteng tanong ko.

"Uh, well, t-that's—"

"Girls! Where are you rank members? Bakit naiwan na kayo rito?" An unfamiliar elderly lady suddenly interrupted Elara's words. "Alam n'yo namang nararapat na sabay ang pagdating ng mga mag-aaral sa pagtitipon ng bawat ranggo bilang paggalang sa nakasanayan natin."

Doon ko tuluyang napagtanto na nakalayo na pala ang mga nakatalagang grupong sinusundan namin.

Elara panicked, bowed in apology, and foolishly told me to follow her before sprinting to catch up with the others. I sighed in relief at her absence and continued walking at my own elegant pace.

So unti-unting pagdami ng mga indibidwal, tuluyan kong napansin na bawat isa ay nahahati sa limang grupo. Not by realms, obviously by ranks. Every tracks stopped upon reaching a massive, sacred-looking building. Sa labas palang ay tiyak na akong triple ang laki nito sa katotohanang lahat ng mag-aaral ay papasok sa loob. Without much effort, I've got to follow their distance.

Murmurs slowly died down. Everyone stood straight and formal.

They really seem to respect this place, huh?

Tanging ang paglangit-ngit ng malaheganteng pinto ang namayani sa natahimik na palagid. I hid my awe as the dramatic light inside slowly vanish, revealing a place that almost made me do a sign of a cross.