Chapter 4

MY PHONE'S ALARM WOKE ME UP. I had only been asleep for an hour or two. Now I had to get ready for our flight back home. My phone rang a few minutes later. It was my Mom making sure I was already awake and getting ready. I jumped out of bed, excitement bubbling inside me.

This was a new day. Maybe Brandon had thought things over. Maybe he'd cooled down and realized he'd overreacted.

I was disappointed.

Brandon was even more aloof and had not spoken a word to me since I saw him this morning. I greeted him in my pale pink dress, one of the many he'd purchased for my debut here in Paris but he just gave me a freezing look and never glanced in my direction again, even as we sat side by side in the limousine that took us to the Charles de Gaulle Airport.

My parents were chatting away in the limo, oblivious to the tension between me and Brandon. He talked business with Dad while Mom asked me about the ball. I answered all her questions as causally as I could. Brandon's indifference was getting to me. I wasn't used to this kind of treatment from him. I wanted his attention all the time and I always got it. But he was totally ignoring me today.

We boarded my father's 787 VIP business jet minutes later. It was only 6:00 AM and the sun had just risen fresh and dazzling all over Paris, the most memorable place for me now. This was where the transition happened. From now on, it was a whole new beginning for me and Brandon.

I sat opposite him on the plane with a built-in table between us, as I always had in all our travels together. My parents always sat together, though right now they were in the cabin to continue sleeping or whatever.

Suzy, one of the two flight attendants served us the breakfast we'd taken out from the hotel for this flight. Brandon and Dad wanted us to arrive in LA by nightfall.

Even now as we sat in our seats eating breakfast, Brandon kept his eyes to his food or anywhere else but me. It was really awkward as we were facing each other.

When his coffee arrived, I picked up the sachet of creamer from his tray, intending to put the creamer in his coffee as I'd always done in the past.

"Leave it. I can do it myself," he said curtly.

I didn't obey him. I tore the sachet open and sprinkled his cup with the sweetener. I leaned towards him. "I missed you," I whispered.

"Don't ruin my day, Marishka."

That stung. He used to say "back at ya" with a smile that told me he meant it.

"You can't ignore me all the way to LA, you know?"

Eat your breakfast."

"Only if you say, please." I batted my eyelashes at him, trying to cheer him up.

"Please," he said and opened a newspaper in front of him, its breadth blocking my view of his gorgeousness.

He was just extra handsome this morning. It must be those kisses. Boy, he CAN kiss! I didn't need comparison to know he was a great kisser. I felt its impact in every inch of my body, as if he was kissing me everywhere.

I wanted more of those kisses and I was going to get them.

I knew I was pissing him off big time but I also knew my power over him. Last night he caught me off-guard with his hurtful words, but I wouldn't take that to heart. He was just shocked out of his wits and reacting on instinct. Understandably so, I guess. But I won't let him reject this special thing blossoming between us. I knew with the way he kissed me last night, he felt the same as I did, only he was too stubborn to accept it. Men! But I'll wear him down. He hadn't taught me determination for nothing.