Chapter Seven

The Deathwing didn't just let her on his back, he leaned forward with his front legs and bowed forward, looking to the side to ensure she could climb on properly, as if he understood exactly what they had been saying. She was able to get onto its back easily, sitting just in front of where the wings met, the rope secured around its neck and horns. Everyone else was doing the same with their dragons, even if some were struggling more than others. To her surprise, Snotlout managed to jump onto the Monstrous Nightmare swiftly and correctly...before the dragon cackled and then tossed him off. For a moment the boy looked terrified, only for the dragon to lean forward to allow him to climb back on, as if he had just been messing with him. The twins fought as they got onto the Zippleback, while Fishlegs merely struggled to stay upright on his Gronkle. But eventually they managed, and suddenly it struck her. They were sitting on dragons, they were riding dragons. It felt like some kind of dream, a dream she never would've thought to have in the first place. But Hiccup had thought of it, and he was going to lead them into a fight they might not survive.

She was rather excited about it.

Hiccup sat in front of Astrid on Stormfly the Nadder, looking more comfortable on the dragon than he ever did standing on his own two feet, and then they were off. The Deathwing was the second to rise into the air, after the Nadder, but as its long wings flapped, she realised that it most definitely wasn't the fastest when it came to flight, as Snotlout's Nightmare quickly caught up. That didn't matter. The moment they started flying away from Berk, Sage felt like that heavy weight on her shoulders was lifting, even if she knew they were heading into a battle, even if those problems she had was still there. It didn't seem to matter as she all but clung to the Deathwing, desperate to not fall off. The wind felt amazing against her skin, the feeling of the chill on her cheeks, and she laughed in joy as she felt the bugs fly into it. She didn't even care. Even with the fear of falling from the height they were at, Sage felt like this was exactly where she was meant to be. She just didn't know it.

"This is amazing!" She called to Hiccup, knowing she'd have to raise her voice to get him to hear her.

"I know!" He yelled back, smiling over his shoulder. "You should see how fast Toothless is!"

That was the objective. They were to get Hiccup to the Night Fury, because they were clumsy with their flying, and while they could definitely (potentially) help and possibly save lives, Hiccup knew what he was doing on a dragon. He knew what to do with his dragon. Toothless was a Night Fury, and they were fast, strong, precise, intelligent. His focus was on freeing Toothless and together, they'd get rid of the Red Death, the name of the massive beast that had put the fear of Odin in the smaller dragons. According to Hiccup, it's possible that the Red Death was the one responsible for the raids this whole time, meaning it could be hundreds of years old, and that the misfortune on Berk when it came to dragons, was because of this monster. The smaller ones were just trying to survive.

While their parents had left on the ships half a day earlier, the dragons didn't take too long to reach Helheim's Gate, which was thick with fog and it became difficult to navigate and see, and she struggled to stay with the other teenagers, not wanting to be separated or to fly into anything. However, her dragon seemed to know exactly what he was doing and led her through without trouble, remaining close to the others, judging by the small noises Fishlegs was occasionally making. They had been joking and talking on and off throughout the entire half hour flight, but by the time they passed two large stone cliffs that told them where they were, they all quietened down. Hiccup told them that Dragon Island, the land that he and Astrid had found the Red Death on, was only a few minutes pass Helheim's Gate. That meant they would be facing it soon enough, especially since she didn't doubt their people had reached it already. She hoped none had died, that they would reach it before that happened. She couldn't imagine her life without her dad and Tryggr; if they died, then she hoped she would follow soon after today.