Chapter 31

It was hard to process how everyone around me went about their lives, like nothing had changed. But to be fair most of them weren't dealing with their ex-boyfriend spilling dirt about them, or having a nonofficial, yet deeply emotionally involved relationship that sparked your non-boyfriend/ ex-boss's brother to try and plan something that would destroy you and by proxy, destroy your non-boyfriend/ ex-boss. 

That was a mouth full to say. 

In short, Carter was causing problems for me because of my confusing relationship with his brother, and a part of me expected the world around me to be different because of it.

Trying to wrap my head around it all left me feeling grumpy and tired as I met my brothers for breakfast the next morning at five am at a breakfast place called Waffle Castle, having hardly slept after the text about Carter.

By the time I slid into the booth, my brothers had already ordered 'first breakfast' and were looking over the menu, trying to decide what to order for 'second breakfast'.

"You okay?" Will asked me as I rubbed my eyes.

Finn blinked at Will, confused. "She is clearly not fine. Why would you even ask that?"

Will face palmed. "It was an opening line to get her to talk Finn. But thanks for the backup."

Finn nodded, going back to the menu, pulling out his phone to compare the items to reviews he found online, trying to decide which one was the best to try.

"Just grumpy," I muttered. "People kept me up with a lot of movies about cars..."

"Rude," Will said in a mocking tone.

"I'm working on getting answers on Carter's location," Sam said, pushing an iced mocha across the table toward me. "Now drink this before you bite our heads off."

I muttered a string of threats before settling my fingers around the iced mocha, somewhat pacified. Sam smiled, used to my grumpiness before coffee and pushed the menu before me. "Let's get you something to eat. Then Finn will tell you what the plan for the day is."

"I have to work," I said, glancing over the menu. "No more all nighters for me."

Finn ignored my protest. "Step one. Breakfast." He tapped the first item on his laminated list, keeping it safe from aggressive Autumns brother's touches. "Step two. Pay Liam a house call to 'talk'. Step three. Drop Lily off at work. Step four. The beach—"

"Woah, back up. House call?"

Finn looked up at me and nodded, completely serious. "Yes. We haven't met him. Seemed like the right thing to do."

Will nodded, his face far less innocent. "Yes. We would very much like to know more about the men in your life."

"He isn't in my life."

"He mentioned wanting you back. So a pause shouldn't stop us from 'getting to know' our potential future brother in law," Will said, smile dark, eyes promising murder.

"There will be no house call. No getting back together. He's done. Gone. Let it go."

Finn gestured to the list. "It's laminated. So that makes it official."

I narrowed my eyes, refusing to let the laminated argument win again. "MAKE. A. NEW. LIST."

Finn pulled out a second list, also laminated. "Fine." I let out a sigh of relief. "We'll drop you off, and then we make the house call."

"Me being there isn't the issue!"

Finn held up both lists, unfazed. "They are laminated. Final. I can't change them now."