CHAPTER 3

Slaving away for the rest of your days. Little knowledge of the outside world, void of any social life. Is this how you continue living your life? No. It's not living. It's surviving. Running on soiled rice for weeks on end, but still somehow finding the energy to go through each day, and to enjoy the little things despite what little you have. It doesn't matter what somebody has at the beginning, it's what they have by the end of it. What you work for makes you someone. 

Depressing thoughts waver inside of your head on a loop, like a glaring merry-go-round. The air was humid from last night's storm, or really the storm this morning. How do you know it stormed? Because it's still raining. Heavily.

Last night, Toshiro Nakamura, a single man in his "20s," had walked Y/n home in the crisp hour of 1 am. Toshiro, who we've learnt is secretly Muzan Kibutsuji, a demon, is posing to be human. Blending in with the species he once was. 

Muzan dispises humans to his very, cold core. This means he underestimates them, and rightfully so. 

By underestimating someone it gives them an advantage, an opportunity, a window. That window is seen by all except the one who did the underestimating. A grave mistake. And a rather rare one on Muzan's behalf. Underestimation could very well be one of the strongest strengths somebody could have because it easily gives you the upper half. They expect less of you.

Where are we going with this?

Muzan walked you home. Correct. Muzan watched you fall asleep from outside. Correct. Muzan saw the Wisteria trees around your home and in the woods. Correct.

Muzan acknowledged the wisteria trees. Incorrect.

If Muzan took a minute, not even a second to stop and consider why those trees were there, maybe things would've ended differently for you. He just assumed they grew there naturally, or you liked them. He hadn't considered the fact that you might be aware of the existence of demons, and you grew them there for protection. To ward off those evil spirits who plague this world. 

If he came to the realisation you did know about demons, then he would soon know that meant you knew demons' traits, qualities, and behaviours. And that meant you would start suspecting his schedule.

What? No way. He's far too precise and accurate with his schedule. There's no way any human who's not a slayer would know about his existence, and still live normally. Let alone you

And that, my dear friends, is his mistake.

But what about you? well, there was something scratching your brain recently, something that had your mind in a twist. Ever since Muzan began visiting your library regularly, you hadn't seen a demon. Normally, one or two people would go missing in your area each year, or every few months- but that has stopped completely. That just proved your point that he is Muzan- but why? It definitely makes sense demons wouldn't want to be around the strongest being in existence.

But...

Something about it all just doesn't seem right. It doesn't add up. Surely the killings- or missing persons wouldn't stop. So why did they? Why isn't Muzan killing anybody?

That question scared you. 

❤・・・・・・❤・・・・・・♡・・・・・・❤・・・・・・❤

It was all so exhausting. Fixing that leak in the roof and hanging out your wet futon. You'd barely gotten two hours of sleep last night, and that's being generous.