Part 6

8

I don't know how far the relationship between the male and female leads has progressed after that incident without my interference.

But my relationship with Pei Yu has been getting better and better.

In the past, not knowing Pei Yu's thoughts, I thought I had a one-sided love.

After I found out from the bullet comments that Pei Yu liked me, some small details that I hadn't noticed before gradually became apparent.

Pei Yu always responds to my messages promptly.

I have a habit of getting up in the middle of the night to drink water, but I don't like to prepare in advance.

After marrying Pei Yu, there has always been a thermos cup on the bedside table.

I used to think it was prepared by the housekeeper, but now I know it was Pei Yu.

Every time he returns from a business trip, he brings me gifts, whether it's jewelry or dresses I casually mentioned, or specialty snacks that suit my taste.

...

I started to share my daily life with Pei Yu from time to time and show him videos I like.

I accompany him to some banquets, even though I don't like attending them.

"If you don't like it, you don't have to go. I can take Lin Chen with me."

I paused while picking out a dress, "Everyone else is accompanied by their wife or girlfriend, but you bring a male secretary. People who don't know might think our marriage is unhappy.

"Or do you think I'd embarrass you by going out?"

Pei Yu smiled helplessly, "What are you talking about? You've never liked attending these events. Why do you suddenly want to go?"

I found a random excuse to brush it off.

After the makeup artist finished, I looked at myself in the mirror with satisfaction.

When Pei Yu saw me come out, a flash of amazement crossed his eyes.

"My wife is really beautiful."

Pei Yu seems to have had some switch flipped recently; he's been speaking more and more sweetly.

"When was I not beautiful?"

Even if I don't go out to attend events, I still dress up beautifully every day. People should live for themselves.

They say women dress up for those who appreciate them [1], loving yourself is what attracts love from others.

Tonight's banquet was a full-month celebration for the child of a company CEO.

However, these kinds of events have somehow turned into cocktail parties for forming partnerships.

When Pei Yu and I arrived, my mom and Pei Yu's mother were talking about something, both looking rosy and smiling happily.

My mom waved at me when she saw me.

I braced myself and walked over, knowing I was definitely going to get nagged.

Seeing my reluctant expression, Pei Yu smiled slightly, "Don't worry, I'll help you."

Right, Pei Yu is here.

"I'll leave it to you then."

Just as I expected, as soon as we got there, the two of them started urging us to have a baby.

Pei Yu and I listened obediently.

"Did you hear that? Have a baby while we can still help you take care of it. It's good for Mian Mian too."

My mom looked at me, waiting for my response.

"Mom, Pei Yu and I have only been married for a year. We haven't had enough of our time together yet."

Pei Yu said, and I immediately nodded.

They didn't urge us before, but now seeing our relationship getting better, they wanted to have grandchildren.

Pei Yu continued to work on convincing them, and I listened behind him.

He made very convincing arguments, and soon they were persuaded.

After a while, someone came to look for Pei Yu, so I stayed behind with my mom, listening to the other ladies gossip about recent news.

When Lin Bei Chuan arrived, his mother was standing on his left, and Jiang Ning was on his right.

None of the three looked very happy.

When Lin Bei Chuan saw me, a strange look flashed in his eyes.

I politely nodded at him and then looked away.

9

After the banquet started, I stayed by Pei Yu's side, watching him socialize.

Listening to the flattery from the people around us made my face feel stiff from smiling.

Seeing Yu Fei waving at me, I quietly informed Pei Yu and walked over to her.

The room was a bit crowded, and stepping outside to the courtyard, I felt much better as the breeze blew.

We found a somewhat secluded spot to sit, just about to start talking when we heard footsteps approaching.

"Did you really think Brother Bei Chuan likes you? If Jiang Mian hadn't gotten married, you wouldn't even have a chance!"

The voice was sharp and the speaker sounded very spoiled.

But why did they have to drag me into this?

"Really? If it wouldn't be me, would it be you?"

As expected of the female lead, her voice was calm and unhurried.

"You! Auntie said Brother Bei Chuan is going to marry me. You should leave early."

"Oh, then I hope you get your wish soon."

Yu Fei and I exchanged glances as the sound of their footsteps gradually faded away.

"How unforgettable was your relationship with Lin Bei Chuan? After so many years, you're still his white moonlight."

"Why are people still talking about this after so long?"

It was just a misunderstanding.

"Tsk, people have been saying this for years. After you married Pei Yu and Lin Bei Chuan went abroad, everyone thought he was heartbroken."

If I were truly his white moonlight, could he really resist contacting me?

Besides, apart from some idle talk, I really couldn't see that he liked me.

We're all in the same circle, so setting up this kind of persona is quite pointless.

I recalled that Pei Yu seemed to think I couldn't let go of Lin Bei Chuan either.

I should find some time to explain it to him.

We sat for a while longer before going back.

By the pool, Jiang Ning and another woman were having a heated conversation.

Just as I was about to leave, Jiang Ning was pushed into the koi pond during the argument.

The girl who pushed her froze for a few seconds and then... ran away.

"Wow, that was harsh! I'll go get help, Mian Mian, you wait here."

Yu Fei lifted her skirt and ran back inside.

I ran over and saw Jiang Ning struggling in the water, my hands and feet feeling cold.

The incident of nearly drowning had left a significant trauma on me. I didn't want to experience that suffocating feeling again.

"Hang on, someone will come soon. Just hold on."

I found a fishing rod nearby and handed it to Jiang Ning. When she grabbed it, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Soon, Yu Fei returned with help.

After Jiang Ning was pulled out, I leaned against a rockery to calm myself down.

My mom rushed over, her tense expression relaxing when she saw I was okay.

"You scared me. Someone came in saying Miss Jiang fell into the koi pond, and I thought it was you."

My mom held my hand, and I could feel her hands shaking.

"Are you alright?"

Before I could speak, Pei Yu grabbed me and checked me over.

"I'm fine."

Did they really think that Miss Jiang was me?

"As long as you're okay." Pei Yu held my hand and took off his jacket to put it over my shoulders.

After confirming I was alright, my mom went back to find my dad.

【See, the love stories of the protagonists always need supporting characters to assist.】

【Wasn't it supposed to be the female lead and Jiang Mian falling into the water together? Why did Jiang Mian end up saving her?】

【Maybe the plot changed. Jiang Mian should be divorced from Pei Yu by now, but they haven't divorced yet.】

I looked down and adjusted my clothes. Was I supposed to fall into the water with the female lead?

In the plot, could it be that I was the one who pushed the female lead?

Someone mentioned in the bullet comments that the protagonists need supporting characters to assist. Since I didn't do it, someone else must have.

While I was still thinking about it, an argument had already started over where Jiang Ning was.

"I didn't mean it. She just lost her balance."

I turned my head to look and saw that it was indeed the girl from earlier.

Footnote
[1] "A woman dresses up for those who appreciate her" (女为悦己者容) is a Chinese idiom, it means that a woman enhances her appearance to please the person who admires her.