Part 5

Since they were all friends, Jiang Zhi Xu didn't need to force himself to stay up. He went back to the tent to sleep.

But perhaps because he was away from his familiar environment, Jiang Zhi Xu didn't sleep well. Around one or two in the morning, he woke up completely.

Unable to fall back asleep, he got up.

Outside the tent, the bonfire was still burning. He could hear the sound of waves hitting the shoreline.

Jiang Zhi Xu hadn't gone near the sea during the day, but now he felt a sudden urge.

He walked barefoot to the beach and tentatively dipped his foot in.

The white waves rolled in, the icy touch making Jiang Zhi Xu gasp and quickly step back.

Right into Xia Shu's arms.

"Want to play in the water?" Xia Shu asked.

"Why aren't you asleep?" Jiang Zhi Xu asked, wide-eyed.

"Just about to sleep when I saw a figure outside the tent, so I came to check. Can't sleep?"

Jiang Zhi Xu rubbed his nose, feeling a bit embarrassed: "A little."

"It's dangerous to play by the sea alone when you can't swim," Xia Shu said, and Jiang Zhi Xu thought he was going to be told to stay away from the water.

Instead, Xia Shu continued, "Next time, if you want to play in the water, let me know, and I'll join you."

Jiang Zhi Xu's heart skipped a beat.

He knew Xia Shu was highly considerate, but did Xia Shu... treat everyone this thoughtfully?

Jiang Zhi Xu repeatedly told himself not to overthink it, it took him a while to calm down.

"Don't worry, I'm not a child. I'll just walk along the edge, I won't actually go in."

"You can go in; I'll watch over you."

Jiang Zhi Xu blinked: "Did Yi He ask you to look after me? You don't have to take his words too seriously."

Though Yi He seemed carefree, he actually looked out for Jiang Zhi Xu a lot.

On trips like this, where most of the group were Yi He's childhood friends and Jiang Zhi Xu wasn't very familiar with them, Yi He would take extra care of him.

This was why Jiang Zhi Xu couldn't let his feelings for Xia Shu get out of control.

He couldn't betray Yi He.

"What does this have to do with him?" Xia Shu frowned.

"Never mind." Jiang Zhi Xu took a few steps back. "Xia Shu, you should get some rest. I'm going to try to sleep again."

"Zhi Xu," Xia Shu called out.

"Yes?"

"Did you... misunderstand something?"

"Huh?"

"My relationship with Yi He might not be what you think."

Jiang Zhi Xu froze.

"I've been meaning to ask you. Do you think Yi He and I are a couple?"

Jiang Zhi Xu hesitated: "You seem well-matched..."

Yi He had denied any romantic relationship with Xia Shu before, but to Jiang Zhi Xu, people in Xia Shu's social class were expected to marry well.

Growing up together, matching family backgrounds, one Alpha and one Omega, and they got along well.

Jiang Zhi Xu couldn't find any reason why they wouldn't marry.

"What makes you think we're well-matched?" Xia Shu laughed.

"Like...everything..." Jiang Zhi Xu stammered.

"Yi He and I won't be together. I already have someone in mind," Xia Shu casually dropped the bombshell.

Jiang Zhi Xu's mind buzzed, staring at Xia Shu in shock.

"Aren't you curious who I like?" Xia Shu asked.

"That's your private matter," Jiang Zhi Xu said, struggling to keep a calm expression. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"You're really..." Xia Shu couldn't understand how Jiang Zhi Xu could be so considerate.

Jiang Zhi Xu didn't understand Xia Shu's expression.

"Never mind. You should get some rest. We have to get up early to watch the sunrise and go hiking. Better conserve your energy." Xia Shu finally let him off the hook.

Jiang Zhi Xu almost fled back to the tent.

Yi He, half-asleep, sensed someone lying down next to him.

He opened his eyes and looked at Jiang Zhi Xu, mumbling, "Still not sleeping?"

The darkness hid Jiang Zhi Xu's troubled face well. "Yeah, I'm about to."

Yi He grunted, turning over.

"Little Yi."

"Yeah?"

"Do you know..."

"Know what?"

"Never mind, go to sleep."

For a moment, Jiang Zhi Xu felt a strong urge to ask if Yi He knew who Xia Shu liked.

Their relationship was so close, Yi He must know.

But when it came to saying it, Jiang Zhi Xu kept silent.

That was Xia Shu's secret. What right did he have to pry?

But he couldn't help feeling envious.

What kind of amazing person must it be to be held in Xia Shu's heart?