Chapter 7 - Expectations

You end up hurting yourself when you get trapped in your mind's labyrinth.

Bella's POV

Back at the mansion, I am currently sitting with my whole family, eating dinner. Our chef Santiago made the Italian style pizza, with pineapple on top. Why the fuck would they do that do a pizza. No!

There were praises for me and Isaac how we won the trophies and made Tonio proud. Though he added 'I still would have been proud if you hadn't won.

As soon as dinner was over, Ezra called me in his study for a talk. Apparently he has been looking forward to it since I came.

"Good luck. Try to be patient and not punch him in the face." Isaac whispered in my ear discreetly before I followed Ezra reluctantly.

My skin clutching the dagger strapped against my abdomen, a weapon against all the tangible threats I can see and feel right now.

I shouldn't have talked to my uncle that way. He deserved it, albeit I get his worry.

That was how he expressed his worry for his sister. He didn't want her to marry a Mafia don, in a Mafia family. I get that, but he still didn't have to taunt her for the rest of her life. I still don't get how making me stay away from this surroundings helped me keep safe.

I was still kidnapped to that hellhole and made sure to adhere by their rules. Tortured to lie to my mother and by telling her I go to a martial arts academy.

Although there is a universe's timing. A loophole for every maze. An answer or compulsion to every question.

We found out the weakness of that illicit underground wing. If they wanted to trade children, groom them to become weapons, slaves, assassins, they would have kidnapped them and taken them away from their families. Why would they go through all the trouble of making the kids lie and train them behind the backs. Why would they choose the hard way?

Answer to those questions was found when we figured out where their secret underground meetings took place. Turns out, our tormentors are just pawns in the whole game. The maze delves in even after the way is found. It's an illusion. One that never ends.

The whole problem is caused by those Mafias! One thing I despise utmost in the world, and here I am, finding out I belong to one of the kind.

I reached Ezra's study and we entered while he sat so elegantly on that black leather chair with soft cushioned armrests and flexibility, I sat on the one opposite his, his huge desk the only thing keeping a good feet distance between us.

His study looks intentionally clean, as if it was cleaned for me. The shelve on my left has a few things removed from between. Considering how meticulously everything is set in here, no one would want to make the mistake of leaving those 10 inches gap between the 3 books.

I know Ezra's gaze is on me, steadily, but I chose to ignore it and continue noticing my surroundings. Taking a look at the small area beside the huge grey digital pad lock cupboard, which looks lonely. It has a black suitcase neatly kept in it but I can't ignore how rest of the area is empty. It just looks like something was removed from there. It just has that empty spot view. Intentional empty.

"Done checking out my study?" His voice, sharply cut through my introspection for surroundings.

I shifted my eyes at him, snappily. "I don't see a problem in it?" I asked him almost unsurely, raising a brow at him. "Perhaps, there's not much for me to see here anyway." I smiled lightly, but sarcastically.