(16) - Beneath the Stars -

ABBY COULDN'T sleep, not that she expected to. Sebbi was alive. Sebbi was back. Sebbi had changed, in a way that made her heart beat uncontrollably. She'd held him, felt his skin, cold and clammy against her own. In his arms, head against his chest, she'd heard his heart.

It had been so different from the last time she'd held him - in that pit, blood gushing from the wound in his stomach, her fingers fumbling, her mind racing, as she tried to stem the flow, to keep enough of Sebbi inside his body, he wouldn't leave her. Then he'd stilled, and his skin had paled, and his last word had silenced her world.

She shot up in bed, threw off the covers, her bedroom's floorboards creaking under her feet. She slunk into the darkened hallway and made her way to the kitchen. Dishes were piled high in the sink, most of them glasses tinted purple from wine. The leftover stew had been portioned into bowls and covered with tea towels. Her trash bin overflowed with the wax wrappers from Axion's sandwiches. While he'd given Abby, Lucy and Sebbi time for their reunion, he'd visited Ean's sandwich shops, lugging with him so many, Abby though he must have put a few out of business. She never asked how he procured his sandwiches, or how he paid for them, but she was certain he hadn't done anything unsavory. Suspicious? Most definitely, but not anything that would cause real problems.

Crum had brought a dozen red-berry tartlets from the bakery in East Market. He welcomed Sebbi and it was much warmer than Abby thought it'd be, and she was grateful. Crum seemed to know how much Sebbi and Lucy meant to her, and while his feelings were complicated after his stay in Aelurus, he respected their relationship enough to avoid any awkward encounters. A bag of caramel twists, a gift from Alfren, was propped up on the window ledge. Abby opened the wrapping, the paper crinkling, and popped one into her mouth. Salt and butter, and loads of sweetness broke over her tongue.

While Alfren was no longer the only good Hudginns, he still gave out the best treats.

Abby rounded the table, fingers grazing the top. Their bowls were still set out, all six of them. She smiled. Her gaze roamed over to the sofa. Nobody was stretched out on its cushions, nor was anyone sprawled out on her rug.

Not asleep yet.

She giggled, her head turning in the direction of her door. If Lucy and Sebbi weren't inside, she knew exactly where to find them.

The door was only open a crack, the bell trilling overhead, when Lucy peeled himself off the railing and turned to face her. "Love?"

Sebbi sat on the railing, legs dangling over the edge, toes scraping the ground. He'd been gazing out at Ean, but at Lucy's voice, he turned and gave her a smile.

Two pair of gold eyes peered up at her from the dark. Just like before.

She settled between them, arms curling around herself to fend off the cold.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Her gaze flitted between the pair of them.

Lucy wrapped his arms around her, his breath tart and floral, his eyes rimmed with red and a bit watery. The ends of his hair, tied and gathered over one shoulder, tickled her cheek. He smiled, and it was dopey and lopsided, his lips a dark plum-color.

She turned her gaze upward, and flashed a knowing grin. "Wine?

His smile spread. He gave her cheek a kiss before releasing her. Sighing, he raised his arms into the air. "Yes, wine, love!" His eyes glittered just like Aelurus's moon. "We were celebrating." He nodded at Sebbi, who shook his head. Sebbi's head always shook, when Lucy said something ridiculous, though his gaze never hardened or glazed over. There was love for his brother, even when he was at his most maddening. "Right, brother dearest?"