Chapters 11-15

(the Secretary 2.0, the Criminal 2.0, the Traitor 2.0, the Lover 2.0, the Zahir 2.0)

.

Chapter 11: the Secretary 2.0

2 years later

"I'll grab some drinks. Beer or the usual cocktail, blondie?"

The cheerful question startled Maca. She was lost in her thoughts, a million miles away from the sunny hillside they were camping on. She was sitting on the grass, in the shadow of a tree, her laptop on her lap.

Now she turned towards Zulema who was squeezing her eyes as she looked towards the blonde. She was laying in the sun, a toddler sitting on her belly and being very interested in her mother's sunglasses, examining them to the point of almost breaking them in two.

The image made Maca smile. And in the same time it made her feel jealous too.

"Cocktail. Thanks!" she answered, trying to ignore the feeling, but it was clinging to her chest. Zulema has a child. She has her own family. What do I have? What did I do with my life in the past two years? I had Zulema.

She blinked back on her laptop, not being at all pleased with her own answer, and tried to finish a mail she has been formulating for half an hour. Or for days, if we count the time she had on her hand, but why not drag things out until the deadline is burning our fingers, making us type faster?

Or until we change our mind.

I should stop lying to myself! I enjoyed every second of the past two years. This feeling of it not being enough started to creep up on me only recently, because... because I was offered the possibility to have more.

She did procrastinate, because she wasn't sure about what to answer to the damn mail.

Maca knew what the right decision would be, but it made things far too complicated. She took a deep breath and started to type again.

"Hey!" Maca was once again startled when a couple of minutes later her laptop was suddenly closed and a cocktail glass appeared in front of her.

She looked up at Zulema who was staring at her with a raised eyebrow, her hands on her hips. "Your cocktail, princess. We were planning to have a carefree, fun weekend together, don't tell me you brought work with yourself..." the brunette rolled her eyes.

You do have a point...

Maca noticed only now that Zulema at one point changed into an orange and yellow patterned swimsuit and was wearing only a black lace kimono over it. Her hair which has grown to at least double of it's length, was dancing in the cool breeze. Despite the sleepless nights and the constant activity which her baby brought into her life, she looked younger than when Maca first met her. And she was also happier. She had everything she wanted after all, and sometimes Maca had the disturbing feeling that her presence in Zulema's life is entirely dispensable. And this was another reason to finish that damned mail.

Maca shook her head apologetically. She did feel bad about having had basically ignored them since the breakfast. "No. I just... I've told you yesterday that there is some stuff I have to get on track in the office. It's just a mail."

"Uhum. Then send it already, and put some music on instead. Since you went back to work, you've become a workaholik, who would have thought..." Zulema said on a bored tone, rolling her eyes. But then she leaned closer to the blonde and breathed a kiss on her lips. Maca instinctively was abut to kiss her back, but Zulema straightened up, leaving her hanging. "Nope. If you want more, you have to stop spending this much time with that thing." she knocked her nails on Maca'a laptop. "I am starting to get jealous, I swear." she added dramatically as she turned her back on the blonde. But she stopped after a step and gave Maca a mischievous look above her shoulder accompanied by a smirk. "We can have the dessert before lunch if that motivates you to shut it down."