Chapter Twenty-Three

As Liamei led him down the hallway, Fulbright tugged at his tunic collar. The fabric, while breathable and light, made him itch and he envied his shipmates who wore robes made of soft, jewel-toned satin, and fine woven shirts and trousers that delicately kissed the skin. Of course, his outfit as a servant was less likely to raise suspicion, but Fulbright was disappointed that he had been unlucky enough to choose the wrong garments. Still, spending the entire festivities pouring drinks and shuffling plates away was a much better solution than spending his entire time in Xia cooped up in the parlor room.

To his relief, Liamei said very little to Fulbright as she kept a steady pace in front of him. Fulbright nervously looked down the hallway toward Liamei's room, hoping that he would run into Rahnka on his way down to the courtyard. However, he was dismayed to find Liamei's room ajar and no Rahnka in sight. As he stopped in front of the open door, his chest deflated. Liamei stopped several paces in front of him and turned to look at him. Fulbright could almost feel her eyes piercing through his soul, moving obstacles out of her way to find his truth. Fulbright squirmed with discomfort. Liamei lowered her gaze as if she felt his disdain.

"I'm sorry," she stammered. "Mama keeps telling me that I must learn to use my power with more discretion."

"If you want to know something, just ask," Fulbright replied curtly. "But it's my choice whether or not I want to share."

Liamei tilted her head to one side, studying Fulbright's slightly withdrawn stance. Finally, she asked with sincerity, "Why do you hide who you are?"

"Stop rummaging through my m--" Fulbright protested.

"I don't need to," Liamei stated calmly. "Your whole body gives you away."

Fulbright scanned the length of his body. His arms were firmly crossed over his chest, his shoulders hunched forward and his feet pointed away from Liamei. His jawline was clenched and he could not bring himself to look at Liamei's icy gaze. Her observations were mostly correct; he was hiding himself again. After confessing to Shiou, Fulbright began to warm to the idea of sharing his truth with the people closest to him. But Liamei's flagrant display of recognition was threatening to Fulbright; he felt in part that he needed to protect himself against her disregard for his privacy. Letting his guard down now could cost him his chance at freedom, not to mention his budding r--. 

Fulbright hesitated as his thoughts tumbled into images of Rahnka. His pulse quickened. What was Rahnka to him, that just the thought of her displeasure made him writhe in anguish? His cheeks grew hot with embarrassment and he banished any emotion before Liamei could interpret his feelings toward Rahnka. He sighed, reluctant to accept his impending defeat that crouched on the other side of Liamei's mild interrogation.

As if remembering something important, Liamei turned on her heels with sudden haste and began to walk again toward the staircase that Odessa had brought him up nearly half an hour ago. "I'm late!" Liamei called over her shoulders. "The other servants are this way."

The urgency in her voice unshackled Fulbright from his moment of despair and he sprang forward to catch up with Liamei until they were almost shoulder to shoulder. Liamei nudged him back a few paces, panting as she reprimanded him. "If you want everyone to believe you are a servant, you must stop acting like a prince!" With her upper body rigid and square, Liamei moved quickly down the staircase, her feet gently clattering over each step as she held her erect posture. Her tone poised, she added, "I didn't tell Rahnka, if that is what you were worried about."

Curiosity and hope swelled within Fulbright. "You didn't?"

Liamei shook her head wryly. "I may lack prophetic discretion, but I can follow the breadcrumbs too. What I don't understand is how you thought you could run away to the desert and escape being noticed? You practically radiate light...well to people like me anyway. And there are plenty of us who could spot you from a league away."