Chapter 1

I awoke in a dimly lit room. Where am I, I wondered as I slowly sat up. It wasn't a place I recognized as I searched my memories. That's when it all hit me. Everything up until I was put into hypersleep.

A wave of grief swept through me as I remembered my parents last words. They had loved me deeply, and I loved them as well. But now...now I was an orphan. An orphan on a ship that presumably had landed on a new planet that I'd have to call home.

"Hello?" I called, looking around. 

The pods were set to automatically wake us up once the ship had landed on Copper 9. Yet here I was, awake and alone. Wasn't there supposed to be someone here to welcome us? There were already a small group of people stationed on Copper 9.

"Hey, is anyone there?" I called again.

Nothing. I was only met with silence. Then, just as I was about to get up and explore, I heard the hiss of another pod opening.

I looked over and saw another teenage girl who looked around my age. From my view point, she seemed tall, with long wavy brown hair. The girl let out a long yawn and stretched her arms. 

"Well that was a doozy. Anyone here?" She called out.

"Oh! Over here!" I responded, quickly getting up and making my way to her. "I almost thought I was the only one here," I said as I stopped in front of her.

"Well, it's a relief we're not alone," The other girl responded. "I'm Ivy by the way, from California."

Ivy held out a hand, and I took it. "I'm Katrina, but a lot of people just call me Kat for short. And I'm from Florida."

I helped Ivy get up and we set off looking for people. We decided not to leave the ship until we found at least five more people. As the two of us walked around, the hiss of another sleep pod sounded from behind us.

"People! After so long!" A young boy's voice cried. "Wait. I'll come to you," he said as he ran up. "Hey ladies, know where everyone else is?"

"No, so far we're the first ones awake," Ivy replied. 

"Cool cool, so...what now? The name is Rod by the way, I'm from Texas." He smoothed back his messy black hair.

"Ivy from California."

"Katrina, or Kat, from Florida."

Ok, so now there were three of us. Ivy seemed positive, and she wasn't defiantly a pretty girl. I had no doubt she was a popular girl at school. Then there was Rod, definitely a class clown. 

The three of us waited for not very long before finally an adult woke up. His name was Conner, and he was an engineer from Arizona. More and more people woke up until all one hundred people were awake. 

There were hundreds of ships that launched from Earth, each one containing exactly one hundred humans. But only one was sent to Copper 9, since the planet had more humans stationed on it than other planets. 

"Ok, ok, settle down everyone!" Lance, the designated leader of the ship, spoke over the murmurs of the crowd. "Not that we're all awake and attentive, we need to make this orderly. I have no doubt you all have someone you left behind on Earth, and I feel for your loss. But we're here to carry humanity on, so let's try to do our best."

Lanced talked on and on, until finally we were separated into groups. These groups were supposed to be our 'households', or the people we were to live with. I somehow managed to land in a household with Ivy and Rod. Our 'mother' was a teacher named Jill, and 'father' was a doctor named Issac. 

"Excuse me sir!" A man ran up, probably a scientist, and held up some analysis. "These reading claim than the air outside is toxic, despite being told otherwise. Should we play it safe anyways?"

Lance took that into consideration, and nodded. "You can never be too safe. Have everyone in space suits and with their luggage within two hours."

I smiled. The only thing left of Earth was me, these other people, and our luggage. Everyone was allowed one trunk of luggage, so we could keep close belongings and bring Earth with us. I had made careful decisions on what I had brought.

"I'll make you proud mom and dad," I whispered under my breath.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back people! I've been volunteering at my Church's VBS for the week.  It's a newer church, so this was the first year we allowed non-church members to sign their kids up. You can tell who goes to Creekside. But it's been fun! I do the dances for the kids and help in crafts. How's summer for y'all? I'm praying for y'all, bye!