Chapter XVIII

Phillip rolls his eyes, though agreeing reluctantly, going past the cells and further into the tunnels. Sal suddenly halts, making Phillip trip while still grasping his wrist. "What's that?" He asks shakily, and Travis stops too once he looks down the tunnel.
       Phillip shines his flashlight among the shadows. Someone was at the end of the tunnel. "I thought this place was abandoned!" Phillip whispers.
"It looked like it was!" Travis responds just as frantically, yet Sal stays quiet.
He instead watches the person, covered in a cloak. "Is it just me, or does that outfit look familiar to you?" He mumbles, and Travis feels his mouth go dry as he nods.
It was the same cloak as the ones used in the cult. Phillip tilts his head, confused. They don't seem to be reacting, or even moving for that fact. He slowly takes another step, moving out of the way from Sal and Travis's hands trying to pull him back. "What are you doing?!" Travis shouts, but Phillip shushes him.
" They are awfully... idle." He answers, walking up to the person and pausing.
No movement. He reaches his hand out slowly, anxiety creeping into his chest. He feels a wave of adrenaline, and he squeezes his eyes shut. He takes a breath and holds it, bracing himself and turning his face away as he reaches out to the person. He grabs the cloak, pulling it off of the body and throwing it to the ground. Silence. Phillip carefully opens his eyes back up, looking up and sighing in relief. "It's just a mannequin," he says, smiling at Travis and Sal, who look just as relieved.
"Thank god," Travis utters, ushering them farther from the mannequin even then.
         Slowly, a door comes into view at the end of the tunnel, and Travis pushes Phillip and Sal behind him. "I don't want you two getting into more shit because you ran ahead," he explains.
Sal just catches Phillip rolling his eyes, giggling quietly under his breath. Travis opens the door slowly and cautiously, and Phillip sees a faint light inside and impatiently walks through with Sal. A small lantern barely continues to burn, causing the faint light throughout the small room. Sal breaks away from the group, searching through drawers in a dresser. "This looks like some sort of study." Travis remarks, looking around in slight curiosity.
"I wonder how the light has kept burning," Phillip hums, walking around and stepping on something.
He hears the crackle of film under his shoes, lifting up his foot and seeing a picture that seems to have been taken not too long ago. He crouches to pick up the picture, examining it. It's of himself, he realizes. Sal turns around, seeing Phillip look around quickly with the picture in his hand. "Is something wrong?" He asks, walking over.
Phillip looks back down at the picture, which was now black. Words are written on the bottom, right beside his thumb. ' do you see him? ' Phillip finally acknowledges Sal when he places a hand on his shoulder, and before he knows it, the picture is being plucked out of his hand and looked at. "Do we see what?" Sal mutters, and Phillip shrugs.
Travis steps back, finding a candle and lighting it, holding it to a piece of paper he has found. ' turn back. ' he shudders, putting down the paper. A map is alongside it, marked places traced around with a black pen. "Guys, I think we should-" he starts, turning to see Phillip playing with a cloak, chuckling to Sal.
Phillip turns, seeing Travis and waving with a laugh, the picture long forgotten back on the floor. "We are going. Now," Travis says sternly, and Sal immediately tenses up and agrees.
Phillip starts to protest before Sal takes off the cloak that was on Phillip. Travis takes Phillip's wrists, pulling him out of the room and back into the tunnels. "Okay, okay! We are going; you don't have to drag me!" Phillip complains, and Sal swats at Travis's hand until he lets go.
The rest of the way is walked in silence, Travis stern and almost looking scared. Sal swallows, trying to keep the air clear and messing with Phillip. Phillip, however, plays with his hands, a couple of rings he took from the room on his ring and index finger.

Phillip lays in his bed, playing on the gearboy console lent to him for the night and humming quietly. He glances at the bathroom, where the light is still on and the water can be heard running. Sal is taking a shower and has decided to sleep over and let Travis have the night to himself at his own home.phillip plays with the spider ring he found at the abandoned building, still pressing buttons on this weird game Sal has. 'Seeking Providence'. He finally hears the water stop running, and the door opens a couple minutes later. "Thanks for letting me use your shower; I felt icky after that trip today," Sal says, and Phillip finally looks up.
          Sals hair is wet, going just barely past his shoulders and dripping from the shower. The towel is slung over his shoulder, and he wears a pair of shorts and a black tank top that is sticking to his body. The steam from the shower emits from his body and the bathroom, and his skin is red as if he were scrubbing at his body to get rid of the residue he might have gotten from the exploring. His prosthetic is off, on the nightstand next to Phillip. "Hey man, it's no problem." Phillip smiles, nodding and patting the area next to him for Sal to sit and join him.
          Sal walks over, discarding the towel and sitting down next to Phillip, watching him play. "I have snacks in my bag still, if you would like anything." Phillip comments, and Sal nods before watching his hands and tilting his head forward, closer to Phillip.
          Phillip pauses his game, glancing over to Sal in concern. "Is something wrong?" He asks, and Sal shakes his head no.
         "Where did you get those rings?"

Word count: 1029 words