i.

TEN YEARS LATER

TEN YEARS LATER

The blade nicked me, and I hissed as blood began trickling down my forearm.

"Come on," Helion spat. "You're getting weak. More distracted. You need to focus, Seren. Your indifference is your downfall."

Normally, I'd snap back at my sparring partner, but I didn't have the energy. Instead, I took the hits, not even bothering to wipe up the red liquid trailing to my fingers. "Sorry," I muttered.

"Don't say sorry," he replied, curt and frustrated. "Show me your apology."

I clenched my jaw, tightening my grip on my sword. Focus, I told myself. Focus, focus...

But my thoughts drifted once more, and before I could block it, Helion's blade came slicing at my stomach. I was able to jump away from it in time, tumbling on the ground but finding my footing quickly.

"What was that for?" I hissed, annoyed that he went for a harmful blow, if it had landed.

"I thought you were ready," is all he answered with, raising a bored brow.

Anger twisted at my mouth. If this was how he wanted it to be, so be it.

I tossed my sword back and forth between both hands, then spun it to an upright position. "I am now."

"Let's hope so," he replied bitterly, then lunged forward.

I met his sword with my own, pushing back hard enough to make him stumble. Then I kept swinging at him, fiercely, unrelenting. His brows arched for only a split second before he swung back with the same force, and we went on like that until we were both panting.

"Better," Helion relented once we both sheathed our swords. He walked over to the corner of the sparring room to wipe the sweat off his palms. "Would you like to discuss what's troubling you?"

"It's nothing," I lied, untying the braid my hair was in and letting it loose down my back.

Helion gave me a skeptical glance, crossing his arms over his chest. I had to admit that he was attractive, with his light, dusted blonde hair and rippling muscles. We were involved a couple years back, but it had never worked out. I soon realized that everyone had to be kept at a distance - no one could know where I went off to in the night.

Nonetheless, we had continued being sparring partners as we had since we were old enough to wield a sword. Both of our climes, Sun and Star, were strong allies, and we would hate to disappoint our parents by letting an inconsequential relationship ruin our amity.

"How's the Sun Clime treating you?" I asked instead, walking near him to clean up as well.

If he was upset with the change of subject, he didn't show it. "Fine. Though, it's always hot. I have always preferred traveling here for our sparring."