Chapter Five

"Secret societies are secret for a reason. It's right in the name, Keller."

You don't even bother looking up from your crossword because it's another lull in your shift and you had actually finished up your coursework for the week a bit early since you skipped the party to finish up some assignments. This meant that your free time in the shop could be used for whatever you like, but Debby doesn't like employees having their phones out, so you stole this from your new favorite customer, Gary, who reads the paper every morning in his preferred booth now. You're not the best at it and probably won't finish more than like eight of the spots before you give up, but you enjoy the distraction.

"Can I get you something, Leo?" You sass back instead, and you ignore the sharp exhale he gives in return.

"You need to stop blabbing. It's going to get you in trouble."

You huff, "Doubtful."

"Just...we apologized, okay?"

"Not okay. Nobody warned me and," This time you did look up, but your expression was far from friendly, "What kind of lame group calls themselves a 'secret society'? It's cliché and a bit cringey. It's plain embarrassing, honestly."

He sighs and you resist rolling your eyes, knowing what's to come, "If we get in trouble for any of it...your name is all over it too. Your family's too."

"So ominous." You can't help but tease.

He leaves soon after that and you text Alex on your break about grabbing a late dinner or something because you both deserve a little treaty with working so hard lately – you guys are roommates and have barely seen each other the past two weeks because of opposing schedules. It's only right. She never replies. Still hasn't. Oh, she's dead, if that wasn't – oh, it was clear? Just checking ah.

Oh, sweet, sweet memories.

Well, you're grounded while Tony, Gretchen Wieners, and Karen Smith all went out looking for leads on the garbage human(?) that is Brenda. So, you found yourself alone in your room, a bit tired, but it's still too early for bed. You know what's about to happen. No, not that, you filthy slags. Well, not not that, but first...

'Whenever you're ready...'

'Alright, but first, check this out,' You gestured for the camera to pan down at your shoes right before you stomped your foot, 'Yeah, that's right, they fucking light up – got them on eBay for fifty bucks, and, sure, they're technically children's shoes, but it was the best fifty bucks Tony's ever spent,' You smirked and then crossed your arms, leaning back in the chair, eyeing the lens, 'So, you want the dirt? Well, I'm pretty sure Wanda's pregnant with an iPad because those two fuck like Ricardo and Lucy with his allusive dildo extension. Seriously, I don't-'

"Hah, that's good – Vision's permanently smooth like a ken doll though, I accidentally confirmed that like six months ago...because Wanda told me...the fuck am I talking to myself for??" You snorted a laugh anyway, commenting next to the large paragraph that you're excited for this one and it better make up for the trilogy of tears or else you're coming for the author. Respectfully. Then you grumbled to yourself, "Need this after today, don't fucking disappoint me again, cAsTiElBrAdBuRy. Gay ass name, what is that even? Whatever, let's do thissss."

You liked this one, it was a bit different – not like you had much to compare it to since that fucked up trilogy was your first fanfic and you already have Bad Blood™ with this author, so we're not giving away the – "Aw," You suddenly gush in the middle of reading, "Mama Maximoff, that's so cute. Okay, maybe this is the best book, like I'm still salty, but damn."