Chapter 11: Information

The morning sun casted a golden glow over the precinct as I stepped out of my car. I stayed out a little more than an hour but I knew Jacob didn't want me back just yet so I considered that a break. The one thing that was on my mind was the uncertainty of the disappearance of Darius along with the peculiarities that surrounded it. 

As I made my way through the door, the air inside the precinct was filled with tension. A feeling of uneasiness hanging over us all. 

I settled back into my desk. Folders and paperwork related to this case lined all over it. My gaze fell on the piece of paper where I scribbled the initials "E.D." The letters echoed in my mind, a puzzle waiting to be solved. 

Jacob appears by my side, sitting back at his desk beside me, a coffee in hand. 

"Welcome back Detective." He said. 

I glanced at Jacob, who was busy reviewing some paperwork at his desk. "Jacob," I said, my voice trembled slightly. "Do you know what 'E.D.' might stand for?"

"E.D.? What?"

I hesitated, unsure of how to approach the topic. "While I was out, I got a message from an unknown number with this message and the letters E.D." I said as I handed Jacob my phone. 

"Stop looking for answers, or you'll regret it. -E.D." Jacob repeated, looking over to me. 

"What does tha-" 

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"even mean?"

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" 

Jacob and I looked around, unsure of what the siren noise meant. Jacob looked down at me, that same look I had when I found the watch at the gas station appeared on his face.

"That better not be what I thi-"

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" 

"Think it is." He finished before he got cut off again. 

"Attention all units, attention all units. We have a Code 10. I repeat Code 10. El Diablo has escaped. All units be on HIGH ALERT." Captain Howard yells over the loudspeakers. 

Jacob and I looked at each other with concern. How did El Diablo escape without us knowing?

Jacob and I hurried down the dimly lit corridors towards the cell room.

As we rounded the final corner, the sight that greeted us sent a shiver down my spine. The cell perfectly in tact, minus a giant hole in the ceiling, outside Miami can be seen.  My heart hammered in my chest as I stepped cautiously into the room, Jacob close behind me. 

The walls were graffitied with a simple message in what looked to be like blood. The words WE WARNED YOU.

Jacob looked confused, "Who? Who warned us?" 

I sighed, hitting my fist against the wall. I flashed back to when we first caught El Diablo. 

"Do you? Do you think you've gotten me? We'll see Grant, Flint, we'll see."

I shook my head, I repositioned my vision at Jacob who has an angered but confused look on his face. "Do you remember when we caught El Diablo at the abandoned house and he questioned if we got the right guy?" 

Jacob nodded "Don't tell me you're starting to believe that malarkey." 

I pulled out my phone, pulling up the text from the unknown number. 

"E.D.," I said to him. 

"How though? You know we take everything when they get put in jail. Phones, wallet, guns, everything." Jacob followed up my theory by saying.