A TOAST

1 month later...

In middle school, my home room teacher used to ask me to write the date every morning because I had perfected bubble lettering so it was nothing new to me.

I made the sign in 10 minutes.

On campus, there was a little book store that sold crafts and art supplies and I picked up a poster board and a pack of 12 markers and got to work in the fifteen minutes between my own lecture in my Media Ethics & Law class, and a Intro to Public Speaking class I had to TA. Ironically, the discussion that I lead today had to do with audience analysis.

I saw Miles across the field, exactly where he texted me earlier that he was, sitting on a bench with a few of his friends but he was the only one dressed up.

He had on a light blue dress shirt and gray slacks and a dark blue tie around his neck that was no longer tightened... just looking so handsome.

I was nervous all morning for him, and truthfully all week as I watched Miles get nervous as his presentation date got closer and closer, but hearing it went well and that he had passed felt like I had passed myself.

I was soooooo happy for him.

I held up the sign overhead and strutted over across the grass like a bottle girl.

It wasn't until his friend Devon nudged him that Miles looked up and saw me.

Instantly, he started laughing.

"Whhewwwwwww," I cheered, rocking my hips back and forth.

"Yoo... you're so corny," he grinned as I brought the sign down to his eye line.

It was a lot of words so I knew he couldn't exactly make it out while I was across the field, so I watched with a smile as he read over it properly this time.

CONGRATULATIONS DATA STORAGE MASTER!

Your storage solution for sensor networks has us running for miles... of efficient, organized data!!!

He shook his head with a grin.

"You so corny man.."

"CONGRAAAAATS!" I screamed my head off, even though I had no fucking clue what his project was about, no matter if he tried explaining like I was 10 or 5 or 2.

It was all a bunch of mumbo jumbo technology jargon I didn't give a shit about... but I saw how hard he had worked.

"I'm proud of you," I said, throwing my arms around his neck as I gave him a big hug.

"Thank you.." he said, sliding his arm around my waist as I was still standing, leaned over him.

Miles slid over to make space on the bench for me but there was very minimal, so I opted to stand.

I let my hand rest on his shoulder as my eyes bounced across the long bench to see along with his friend Devon, Khalil and Jezebella or whatever the fuck her name was were sitting there as well.

"Hey," I waved casually to them, smiling at everybody, even though I hated the bitch.

Because why was she always around my man??

I didn't give a fuck that they had the same major and had some of the same classes.. she needed to pick a new major and get the hell away from my Fine Ass Miles.

But of course he wasn't actually my man yet so I had to keep the crazy levels to a minimum.

Sigh...

This dating thing was so hard to navigate.

My gaze shifted back to Miles and I smiled, liking the haircut he had gotten the other day but especially now when he was dressed all nice.