6

never feel guilty for setting boundaries that protect your peace

The next day came far too soon. Neve didn't speak to Christina, and Christina didn't speak to Neve. Neve cared yet didn't at the same time, keeping her stance on how unfair it was that Christina got to continue to live her life as if nothing happened whereas Neve couldn't.

"Going to the library after school," Neve shortly told her aunt as she walked toward the front door.

"Location on and constant texts every half hour," Christina responded just as shortly.

Neve didn't say anything. She just put in the security code and threw open the door, beginning the walk to the bus stop.

Christine didn't think it was ideal for Neve to ride the bus but didn't argue with the younger girl when she insisted on taking it. She wanted to say something but the wounds were still fresh - and the last thing they needed was another fight. She'd already felt guilty enough for slapping the girl, so she allowed her to do a few things she'd usually be more strict about.

Neve listened to music as she took the lengthy walk to the bus stop, but didn't bother paying much attention to it. Her thoughts were consumed by the past events from the day before, her eyes clouding with tears anytime she thought about how her aunt had hit her.

The sudden feeling of someone touching her arm caught her attention. Her fight or flight immediately kicked in as she kicked her foot back, aiming for anything that would give her the upper hand. She turned and grabbed the hand of whoever had grabbed her, turning their body so she twisted their arm behind her back.

Her phone fell out of her hoodie pocket as she did this, her earbuds yanking from her ears in the process. She heard a familiar voice groan in pain as she held their hand behind her back tightly, her knuckles turning white from the grip she had.

"Neve, it-it's me," Zach weakly spoke, his breathing heavy from the sudden action.

Neve immediately let go of his arm, stepping back. She watched in horror as he turned to face her, stretching his arm out to relieve the pain she caused. He flexed his arm, and she watched as the muscles tensed and relaxed.

"Zach, I-" Neve stopped, not knowing what to say. She knew she should apologize as she could've seriously hurt him, but at the same time if she hadn't reacted like that she could've seriously ended up hurt.

Zach's lips pressed into a thin line before he smiled, "You've got quite the grip on you, Neve."

Neve's cheeks burned, her palms growing sweaty. Suddenly, she wished she hadn't asked to ride the bus that morning.

Zach bent down and picked her phone up from the ground, inspecting it to make sure it hadn't broken. Once he saw that it was fine he reached out, offering it to her. "Dropped this," He told her.

Neve looked at it for a moment before taking it. She shoved it in her pocket, standing there awkwardly. "You should-" She stopped for a second before continuing, "You should really be careful sneaking up on someone like that, you could get hurt."

"I see that now, thank you." Zach smiled at Neve again, "I just saw you walking and thought I would offer you a ride."

"A ride?" Neve asked, looking at him.

"To school. That's where you're headed right? The- the bus stop?" He pointed.

Neve turned, seeing how close she'd made it to the bus stop. This surprised her because it really didn't feel as if she had been walking for that long.